PC Guys - Where to find a power supply?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have an old HP Pavilion xl844 and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a replacement power supply. I tried HP's website, google and Evil Bay without any luck
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Best. Computer hardware. Site. Ever.
  3. +1

Any 20-pin power supply should work for you methinks...almost all older computers use them. Antec, Enermax,and OCZ are some quality brands that will not let you down.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have a few older ones lying around, but none specifically for that unit. What is the wattage and is it ATX?
  5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
  6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It is a LITE-ON and is rated at 188 watts
  7. [​IMG]

If you can see it, does the power supply connection to the motherboard look like that (sans small wire)? If you can, you should count and make sure that connection has 20 pins, or if it needs a 24 pin connection before you buy, just to be sure.

If you're looking to go the cheap route, look at Sparkle power supplies; I've used them twice before, both times I've been satisfied.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll check my stash tomorrow. If I have one that matches up to yours, you can have it. Double check your connector like Lizard is suggesting.

9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Man, MJ, you always have some computer hardware laying around, don't you?
  10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    dont buy cheap power supplies

cheap brands are more likely to blow up/overload

get enermax, ultra-x, antec, thermaltake or OCZ
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    By the way, now that you are buying a new PSU - 99% of computers are with generic connectors so you can buy pretty much any on the market - I'd recommend you get a more silent one while at it. Price difference isn't massive but the lack of noise can be.

Most good quality PSU's are around $80 - apart from bringing less noise, they also keep the current more stable even under heavy stress. There are plenty of reviews floating around. Happy hunting.