PC help! Getting rid of adware in AIM.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Justin V, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    OK. I keep getting random messages from people on AIM that are just spam links. Apparently they've gotten some spyware or such that uses their buddy list to send spam. It's quite annoying to all involved. Is there anything special they have to do to get rid of it or will a standard Adaware run do it? It doesn't affect me becuase I'm on a mac, but it's annoying to get these dumb spam links disguised as my friends.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just HAD the virus that your friends have. I got rid it simply by going to control panel, and add/delete or w/e programs, and delete this LSD Tools one and Buddylink games thing.
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Thanks. I'll prolly head over there and fix it for her tonight. She doesn't know much about computers, so I get the duty of "computer guy" a lot.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    this used to happen to me, kinda

random people, im guessing they were bots would IM me advertising p0rn... proly got my screen name from a chat i was in.... i blocked em all but they just kept coming... so i just changed my screen name, problem solved

it was getting bad too, atleast 5 every day
  5. primesuspect

Feb 11, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I wrote an article for getting rid of spyware aimed at complete novices up to "the neighborhood computer guy" level... Hope it helps somebody, that's the point of it.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i use that, which is great. i also use ad-aware 6.0 professional, and spysweeper. spybot rules them all though :D.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i actually just had a virus like that this week... its such an annoyance.. but i got rid of it by deleting the files
  8. Yes, I use both Spybot, then I use Ad-aware because it picks up some other things spybot misses.