Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PC Help-how to get sound back after reformat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Mar 6, 2003.

1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey guys-for the past few days i've been tryin to battle CPU viruses out the #*(&$# [had a few hundred on here] so i threw in the towel and did a format C. Now it's great [also moved up to verizon dsl from AOL] except i don't know how to get the sound back-i'm running windows 98+ if that helps at all. I don't know if i need to install drivers or check the CD roms to see what all i need to put back. thats all thanks in advance.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Install all the latest drivers for all your devices, video and soundcard, mouse, etc.

3. you probably have to install the correct drivers... they might be on the win98 cd, but you probably have to download the drivers..

you can go to www.driverguide.com and search there if you know what kind of soundcard you have..

and a word of advice to you and everybody else that format their pcs... always before formatting write down somewhere all the hardware so you know what to search for if you need drivers. It's also a good idea to write down the software you think you will need so you don't forget it.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    thanks guys.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Why not buy the upgrade edition of XP for 100$? Do a clean install (you need the 98 cd to prove you are "upgrading".

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    That is a good idea but i don't have the $100. I've figured out i've got an analog devices 1816A soundcard. I tried downloading a driver from driverguides.com and it didn't do anything-do i need to install a video driver too? [used the one from rage graphics on the CD]