Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PC laptop

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Garage, May 3, 2005.

1. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I have wanted to buy a PC laptop for a long time now, but there seems to be so many things to consider before purchasing a laptop. I have heard many good things Mac, but unfortunately I don’t have 5000$ to spend.

So are there any good low priced laptops that you can recommend?

Oh, and I dont plan to use a lot of heavy Plug ins, its basically just multirack recording.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm a fan of the IBM Thinkpad series. The ones I have used have been rugged and reliable, and they don't weigh a ton.

With that said, I use an Apple iBook for multitrack recording, it didn't cost anywhere near $5000, and it is more than suitable for this kind of work. It is also my primay everyday PC and a joy to use.

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I used to be an on-site computer technician with Unisys. We had a warranty contract with Dell, so I spent lots of time working with them...great computers at a really good price!

4. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005

According to the XE currency converter The Apple Ibook cost 1.824815 USD ( Can that be right?) that’s about 11.490,00 Norwegian kroner. I can definitely live with that!

I have to convert my Cubase to Mac, I don’t know how much that will cost, but I guess I won’t be fortune.

Are there any programmes like Battery for Mac, for drum programming?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Battery 2 works on the Mac, as does most (if not all) of Native Instruments software.

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The current price on the 1.33Ghz 14" ibook is 1,499.00 USD. Very good value for the money. The CPU speed does not translate to Intel CPUs. !.33 Ghz is very fast if you don't have the overhead of Windoze.

If you want to get a feel for what applications are around, check out http://osxaudio.com/

7. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Thanks guys!

Im so happy to hear that Battery runs on the Mac.

I think I definetly will go for the Ibook!
    Any sugestions for a good soundcard?

I already have a Ozone M-Audio midikeyboard/soundcard, but its a bit unstable. For instance of I disconnect a jack, the whole machine freezes.

8. I picked up an IBM Thinkpad T23 and purchased a wireless router and card for under $550.
    I haven't tried to record with it, but is a workhorse for day to day operations.

9. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
  10. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I found with my laptop (Dell), I get a "ground-loop" on the line-out if the power-cord is connected (terrible digital noise & hum). With battery alone, it is fine. I didn't look into this much, but I've seen others with laptops say it is a common problem.