PC Modding

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    So I recently decided to build myself a computer, both for recording music, and for accessing the internet, playing games etc.

Whilst browsing for cases I happened upon this loads of modded cases and decided to buy one myself. It now has UV cathodes, LED case fans and some other stuff in it, just to make it look good. I'm rather worried about this... So I was wondering if anyone else on TB has a modded PC? Or is it just me? Am I that much of a geek :D Here's a couple of pics of mine...
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The gaming PC we have at home has a blue light on one of the fans(that my brother got for free..so why not?), and banded SCSI cables(greatly reduces internal clutter, and helps with heat dispersion) but the thing sits below the desk, is surrounded by junk anyway, not much to look at either way. :meh:

Personally, I find most case mods incredibly tacky, but I have seen a couple that are really neat.
  3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention that you found mine really neat, thus I can only assume you find it incredibly tacky ;)

*Punches hole clean through case*

*Recovers and gets on with life*

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hehe, well, I like the guide lights in the front, but the lights inside the case aren't balanced, and this is the problem with most lighting mods, there is usually like an abundance of light in the corner or something, but it never really *evenly* floods the case, like it should(imo) If you're going to do lights, do them right.

a friend of mine is making a neat PC, nicknamed anti-matter, it is as black as PCs can get, not only on the exterior, but the MOBO, GPU, HD...all black. he plans on accenting the corners with some modest lighting, and maybe adding a couple modest lights to the front. It's looking great so far
  5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I know what you mean, it's less apparent in real life, the window is UV reactive so it looks kinda like the whole inside is all blue and hazy, like some kind of blue fog... But in the pic it looks a lot more localized, which is a shame :\ Ah well, still looks better than a grey box on my desk (IMO ;))
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that'd be a neat mod, if you had an iced fog machine pumping low rising fog out of the base of the case...too bad the computer would put off too much heat to make that possible.

and it wouldn't even be that neat anyway :)
  7. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Ah, nice to see fellow pc builders out there. I recently built my own and the experience is great, totally custom.

The modding part I lack, just havent got around to buy a window for my Coolermaster but I do have an Antec True Blue 480 watt ps in with some pimp blue LEDs!

2.4GHz 800fsb

Abit IS7-G mobo

WD Raptor 36GB HDD

ATi 9600 Pro graphics card

Corsair 2x 256MB 3500DDR RAM

Antec True Blue 480 watt PS

Coolermaster case

But looking forward to upgrade to a Athlon64 939-Pin processor.

PS: That was nerdy :meh:
  8. PC modding is my guitar player's thing. I am just the "ooh, ahh" guy.
  9. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Sounds nice ;)

My spec is:

AMD 2500+ XP
    MSI K7N2 mobo
    512Mb 2700 SDRAM
    80Gb Seagate Barracuda
    Geforce 5 128Mb
    Audigy II 24bit soundcard

Yep, that was pretty geeky too :D
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    actually, you couldn't pay me to use windows as my main OS, I'm a die-hard mac user, but we have a gaming PC at home.:)
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  12. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah looks pretty cool, til you realise you can see all the wires and there's nowhere to hide anything that looks crap... I'd still quite like one though :)
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'm not much for visual modding, to me it's just a waste of time since I keep the computer underneath my desk anyway. ;)

I built my current system with the goal to make it as quiet as possible. It isn't, but it's quiet enough for my needs, and I can't find the energy to correct the mistakes I made when I put it together (way too much thermal paste!).

Antec Sonata case
    Nexus NX-3000 PSU
    Thermalright SLK-900U CPU cooler
    Panaflo 80 mm L1A CPU fan
    Zalman multi-fan voltage controller
    Seagate Barracuda IV 40 + 80 GB drives

Did all my reading on the subject of computer silencing on this excellent site: http://www.silentpcreview.com
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've never modded a computer. I am, however, going to put a cathode light in my trunk to replace the weak one that came stock. So when I open the hatch of my VW Golf, all of my gear will be flooded with futuristic blue light. :D
  15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I bet they have that kind of thing in the trunk of the enterprise...

If you're after cathodes then might I suggest ebuyer rather that a car specific thing, cos 2x12" UV cathodes from ebuyer uk are £2.80 whereas car ones are around £20 (or so I've read).
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I was planning on using one meant for computer use- I have seen car lighting kits and they're usually stupidly expensive. That ebuyer site does have really good prices- thanks.
  17. I've got a Aopen HQ-08, with a 120mm fan installed right next to the graphics card, and a red cathode tube under it, I exchanged the hdd/power LED's with bl00 ones, and exchanged all the screws for gold plated thumbscrews.
  18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Cool! I was gonna go for a blue cathode but settled for UV cos my case window is UV reactive, glad I did, cos I think it looks pretty cool... I was thinking of changing the red LED in my optical mouse for a blue one, apparently it's possible... :D
  19. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Alienwares are overrated. There are so many better looking STOCK cases out there than that. Why would you want an alien head for a case?

For the price you pay for one of those, you can build one custom with all your specs for about half the price. :rolleyes: