1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PC Problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Have an older PC that hasnt been used for about 6-7 months.

It worked fine the last time it had been used. Now it just wont start up properly.

The fans and power/HDD lights come on, can hear the drives spin up, but nothing else happens. No image on the screen, and the light of the optical mouse doesnt come on.

Any ideas guys?

2. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    I'm guessing motherboard problem.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Is there a little battery on the m'board?

Next, simply wiggle all of the connectors and make sure they are all snug. In my years of repairing electronics, I have learned that 99% of failures are mechanical in nature.

4. Ive tried wiggling all the connectors to make sure everything was fine. Not going to have much more time til next week to work on it. So will take it apart and reassemble minimally.

Yeah, there is a batt on the mobo, was thinking of taking it out, but I didnt think that flashing the mobo would make a difference, if that is what you were getting at?

It is just wierd that it fires up and seems to be working internally, just that nothing connected externally seems to work :(

5. Check the capacitors on your motherboard. If anyone is bulging or has a leaking top then you have your cause. Blown capacitors is in my experience the most common reason for the type of problem you describe.

6. Never noticed anything out of the ordinary in that manner, but shall have a look.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I lost a computer to the counterfeit capacitors. Fortunately it was under warranty.