1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PC question : Norton Ghost/HD Cloning Programs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Im buying a new HD for my computer soon, and was thinking about getting norton ghost or a similar program that allows hard drive cloning (so i dont need need to copy everything from the old one and start from scratch)

Was just wondering if cloning will work taking information from a 200Gb HD and copying it to a 36 Gb HD? I know some programs have problems with copying the disc image to a different sized drive, but how does ghost handle it?

Or does anyone suggest any different programs for doing this?

Cheers

- Will

2. As long as all the data will fit ghost should be able to do it fine.

As far as other progrms there are a tone, they all do pretty much the same job. We always end up using Ghost.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You can ghost the info, but I wouldn't try to create in image of the larger hard drive.

-Mike

4. I understand alot of programs have trouble with imaging to smaller drives (and when imaging to larger drives will make a partion the size of the older one and have the left of the space leftover as unpartioned space)

I was wanting to use the image because it would save reinstalling everything, cus after moving everything off the old harddrive i plan on formatting it and using it for basic file storage and running windows and most of my programs from the new 36Gb raptor

Cheers for the replies guys :)