PC Recording Help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Oct 31, 2003.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Our band has recently decided in taking the route of recording ourselves and having a friend mix/master the final tracks. The project we are looking for is recording track by track onto a PC. Recording the drums will take eight mics so the max number of tracks at once is going to be eight. First off let me tell you our PC specs:
    Dell P4 1.3 ghz, 120 gig hard drive, 256 mb ram, SBlive(I know we need a different card), and the OS is WinXP.
    Is WinXP a good OS for sound recording because I do have access to other PC OS’s. I’m pretty sure that the computers hardware meets all the specifications in order to do music recording minus the sound card.
    What are some good sound card/mixer combination that would allow us to record up to 8 tracks simultaneously and have them separated into 8 tracks on the PC? I’ve heard of sound cards supporting 4 inputs but do they have 8 input cards?
    Next which recording software would support sound card PC recording? Would one allow us to do punch-ins or edit parts in certain tracks?

I am new to PC recording so any help or tips would be wonderful.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    First let me scare you a little bit, by saying that there's no guarantee that your Dell computer will perform flawlessly as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) PC. The specs are good enough (though more RAM wouldn't hurt), but one never knows what cheap motherboard Dell has put in there to maximize profit. With some motherboard chipsets, you may experience problems with a demanding task such as multi-track audio editing - even if everything is properly configured! Then again, you may not. It's a bit of a gamble.

I think all software packages has the features you mention, and then some. That shouldn't be a problem. If you have the possibility, download some demo versions and spend some time with them. Buy the package you like best (and can afford).

Here are some popular software solutions and their websites:

SONAR - http://www.cakewalk.com
    Cubase SX - http://www.steinberg.net
    Samplitude - http://www.samplitude.com
    N-Track - http://www.fasoft.com (inexpensive)

Which hardware solution to choose depends on your budget. There are 8-track solutions for $400, and there are those which cost a lot more. And as with most things, you get what you pay for. How much are you willing to spend?

See what the following companies have to offer:

3. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    My budget is around $400-500 for a sound card. I'm not sure how the inputs would plug into the sound card...Can you get a 8 channel mixer to plug all the mics into and then run the mixer to the soundcard?

All help is greatly appreciated.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The 1010-LT seems like a nice piece of gear! Although I normally would recommend a breakout box-based system, for improved convenience and shielding of the inputs. With a basic sound card, you may end up with all sorts of computer-generated random noise in your recordings... if you're unlucky (I sure was with my first "pro-grade" :rolleyes: card...). Of course, the only breakout box-system available for $400 is (to my knowledge) the ST Audio C-Port, which admittedly is so-so in every respect, but functional.
  5. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    What kind of 8 channel mixer would go well with the 1010 lt?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The whole point of a multi-input soundcard is that you can do without an external mixer, unless you need more than 10 (in this case) and need to mixdown before the card.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    But you still need microphone preamps of some sort.
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd reccomend getting the mixer vs. another sound card, you will find it to be handy in other uses as well.