PC recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassics, Dec 4, 2000.

1. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    Has anyone tried recording on PC with SoundBlaster Live
    platinum, with the Live drive? Does it work for instrument recording? Help!

I am thinking about getting one, but need to know if it will suit my purposes.

[Edited by bassics on 12-04-2000 at 07:33 PM]
  2. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    I have a SoundBlaster Live! Value (same hardware as all other Live! cards except the Platinum -- the software bundle is the difference with the rest) and have been using it for practicing bass for awhile. I never tried recording before you asked this question, so I ran the default Windows recording program (SNDREC32.EXE). It recorded, but it sounded pretty lousy. But I'm sure there's some better software or something to change in the settings to get the results that you want. I messed with it for just a few minutes, but it appears that the card was functional for recording instruments.

I've been looking at the Live! Platinum, myself, and hope to get it sometime in the near future. You might check out <b><a href="http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Soundcards&number=1&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin="><I>HardwareCentral</I>'s Soundcards Forum</a></b>. I'm sure someone there could tell you how well the Platinum works for this purpose.

Happy hunting!
  3. If you want a soundcard just for recording there are way better cards out there from companies like ECHO and M audio.
  4. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    It works fine. I go through the Johnson J-Station (not my ideal choice, but it gets the job done) and then straight into my SB Live Platinum.
    I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 to record.
    It all comes out sounding really good. Big, big sound.
    Again, the SB Live isn't probably your best choice, but it seems to be a decent all-purpouse sound card to me.
  5. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I currently record on my computer with the standard soundblaster card and it works well enough. However, I am upgrading and have been carefully looking at various cards and have to agree that there are much better cards out there than the Soundblaster stuff. I think CROZ's suggestion of looking into Echo's products is worthwhile. I am currently leaning toward a Darla 24 which can be had new for about $299.00 US.

If your current card is decent, you may also want to take a look at the Tascam US428 digital mixer & interface. It apparently has 24-bit conveters.

Anyway, here's a site you might want to check out. It compares many different cards.

Good Luck!
  6. I've done some recording with the SB Live Platinum, it sounds really good... and I especially love that Live! Drive
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany