1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PC speakers into headphone out (on bass head)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basura_armatura, Dec 16, 2018.

1. basura_armatura

basura_armatura

Nov 27, 2018
    Hey there,

I'm waiting for my new bass head to arrive these days. I don't have now any bass cabinet, so I'm wondering about using my pc speakers instead. Can I plug in them to headphone out on bass head, instead of my headphones? It doesn't have to be very loud, I just don't want to use headphones all the time before I buy a bass cabinet. Is there any possibility to damage bass head or speakers? As I know, headphone out is the same thing as the output for pc speakers.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Are they powered speakers or just passive speakers?

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I plug into the mic input on my PC and play at a low volume through my sound card and powered speakers.

That's not what you asked but it works for me.

I have also taken headphone out from an old radio(used the volume control to set amp input level) into a power amp and small PA speakers. That worked good enough too.

JRA likes this.
  4. basura_armatura

basura_armatura

Nov 27, 2018
    I have these speakers Logitech X-140 - speakers - for PC Overview. It says here that amplification type is active, so I guess they are powered.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Should work. I think the headphone out is a bit hotter than the line out you'd typically use but it's still a relatively low signal. Start with the volume low! :D

basura_armatura likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    They are active, the sensitivity is going to be very low at lower frequencies so you will need to be careful to avoid damaging them.

basura_armatura likes this.
  7. basura_armatura

basura_armatura

Nov 27, 2018
    Thank you all for advice. I will start with very low volume :) In the first place, it was important for me to know is there any possibility to damage my amp, but I understand from your comments that I can only damage pc speakers. Still, speakers are cheaper :)