Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PC trouble - stopping the auto shutdown (related to a worm)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Jun 18, 2004.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all. It isn't my pc that has the error but a friends.

They've told me that their pc keeps prompting errors when they get online and results in it turning off after so long.

I havn't seen it (and can't, they're 10 miles away) but presume it's related to that worm that went around not so long back that would cause auto shutdown. They mentioned a vrisu and a worm, although by their own admissions know nothing about pcs :/

MY question is, can anyone remeber how to disable the auto shutdown in order to access the worm-killing tools (if it is infact teh worm they have?). Thanks"

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot, I'm looking into it now!

I'm not sure if it is a worm or virus they have but it sounds as though you've nailed it!

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Hmmm get spybot and scan it...

I've seen a warm that is rmable by spybot that does that sort of thing...

Besicly once ur online it starts to sending out stuff through diffrent ports and crashs pc... tell ur bud to try that...

Hope that helps

Cheers

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    spybot doesnt stop sasser.

It might be worth your time knowing that when the "shutting down in 60 seconds" box pops up that doing the following will stop it shutting down:

Start > Run > "shutdown -a" enter.

Good tip for all you guys :)

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Symantec has a fixer tool, just follow the link JMX gave you.

Also install the MS patch that Symantec link recommends and install a firewall program - I'd recommend Sygate Personal Firewall which is free and easy to use.

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Cheers! She's manged to get it working again, ta mucho for the help :)

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

ehem... it might... i've removed saveral worms/wares that do that sortoff thing with spybot... i've done it few times with customers pc... didnt say it always does work but sometimes it works... its a shot... who said its sasser? did i miss something?

anyway its all fixed so:p congrads:p
    was it really sasser?
    Cheers

8. ZoneAlarm is also an excellent firewall program. You have to pay for it, but it's leaps and bounds better then Norton or McAfee.