1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PC video cards

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ShredderMaximus, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Some of you might remember that last summer I built myself a fancy little gaming pc.
    Here are some specs;
    Intel i5 4670k cpu w/ Cooler Master 212 Evo cooler
    EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost Superclocked edition (2gb) gpu
    Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 power supply
    Acer 24in. 60hz 1080p monitor
    Blah blah 1tb hdd, blah blah cd burner. Whatever.

Anyways, I'm looking to get a new GPU, as the 650 is really starting to make its limitations apparent, and it just bugs me to not be able to max out all my games if we're being totally honest. I've thought about sli'ing it, but decided against it and just getting a better single core and upgrading that to sli much much later.

Where my dilemma arises is choosing a new video card. I really want to get a GTX 780, but I also keep hearing great things about the R9 290. Any pc gamers out there running either of these? Frankly I know this is overkill atm, especially since I don't plan on upgrading my monitor or anything, but just the knowledge of future proofing my pc for at least a couple years would be nice.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You're only running 1080p @ 60Hz...? Interesting. What is your actual intended budget? For actual higher resolution I'd push for the R9, but at only a single 1080p, I'm not sure it'd be needed (780Ti in that case, by far). What games are you playing, and how long do you intend on keeping the new card?

ShredderMaximus likes this.
  3. This is a general (very general) comment, IIRC, the 780 will be typically be better for a single monitor, the 290 will be better on multiple monitors. Though I think the 290 runs hotter (potentially more noise to keep it cool and uses more power).

But you're right that either would be overkill at the moment and both will no doubt start showing their limitations at around the same point.

I'm really wanting to put together a new machine, my Q6600 + 8800 GTX just isn't the powerhouse it was 6-7 years ago!

4. This will be a long time card. I like to play some of the AAA titles like Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Tomb Raider, Battlefield, Dark Souls II, whatever. They tend to be very graphically intense and I know the 650 isn't going to give me the minimum quality I like for a whole lot longer. I also plan on probably going down a dual card setup way down the line, but I don't want to have to worry about that for a good long while.

This is what I've been seeing alot, but it can be tricky since most conversations on this topic tend to errupt in giant flame wars.

But heck, if I could squeeze out 6-7 years out of this rig, I'd be ecstatic! Thats kinda what I'm going for. Just a get it and forget it deal.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You wont squeeze 6-7 years out, while demanding max settings in all games. The GPU will always be your weak link. The rest of your system is probably OK, but it's hard to really guess that far into the future. Switching to an SSD will be a driving factor before too long, also. If you need the upmost horespose from a single card right now, I stand by a 780 Ti. SLI'ing in a few years will likely be difficult (will have to go used), so you'd probably be better off just SLI'ing right off the bat. SLI 780TIs, if I had to guess, would let you max out AAA titles for 4-5 years or so.

6. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Are you dead set on nVidia cards? It's been a few years since I shopped, but I have always found the ATI cards to be a much better value with comparable performance.

7. Sorry, I forgot to mention my budget. Right now I want to keep it around 550$ max, and from what I've seen, the performance increase of the Ti doesn't quite justify the extra 200$ for my purposes right now as I'm far from a rich man! Lol. I think at that point its starting to get into more bragging rights territory. As for sli'ing the 780, I'll probably just wait for another price drop or so since a single will to me pretty well for awhile at least.

Thanks for the help BTW, really appreciate your guys' input.

8. Not necessarily. I really do like my 650 a lot right now so that is part of why I'm leaning towards nvidia right now, but I'm pretty open. I have seen a lot of people talking about driver support issues with AMD, but its hard to really weed out the truth with all the rampant fanboyism out there on both sides.

9. AMD gives a better bang for buck, true, but for out and out power nVidia have generally been leading on that front (even if it does mean dropping more coin) - at least on single monitor performance.

It is important not to get too caught up in brand loyalty on graphics cards, I've never been one to do quick turn arounds (3dfx Voodoo3 to ATi 9800 Pro to nVidia 8800 GTX)

10. The best thing to do is read as many reviews as you can. I like the bit-tech reviews, they test a bunch of games at different resolutions and they give you a comparison to other high end cards.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/

They also show how much it can depend on a specific game and how it was produced (as to which platform they were optimised for).

11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

A couple comments for your gaming rig Shredder.

1. Get a separate HD for your OS. Preferably an SSD. ( this is convenience but they boot SO much faster. No reason not to have one any longer they are proving reliable these days and not that expensive ) I'm running as 150 GB SSD and LOVE it since I've gone that route. I have this one.
    1a. By extension I would SERIOUSLY consider getting a smaller, faster HD than the 1TB drive for everything. You would be amazed how much smoother games run ( especially when zoning, for instance, in an MMO ) on a faster HD. They are far too often not given the attention they deserve in a true gaming rig. I have 2 10k 500GB game drives (both WD Black) one for MMOs the other for everything else.

I recently upgraded my GPUs and went with a budget very near your own. I wasn't going to run SLI but found a deal that worked for me at the time ( I also had the Mobo to support it and it made me nuts not using that feature. ) Knowing what I do now I would have spent the extra dough on a better single card so you're on the right track with that mindset. I'm an EVGA fanboi. I've had horrid experiences when I've gone with anything else. I currently am running 2 GTX780's Ti superclocked. I can't say enough about these cards.

If it were me I would get a single card like this one. Cuda cores is what you want in an Nvidia card. the memory is nice but the cores speak to it's true gaming power.

12. What resolution are you pushing? The reviews I've seen have shown a single 780ti can hammer pretty much everything, even at 5760x1080 (I've never really followed the 4K performance, not a step I'd be making yet).

+1 on EVGA, great cards. Going third party is generally a good thing, better and quieter cooling with the occasional bonus of an out the box OC.

13. Man, now you guys really got me leaning towards a 780ti. Some of the benchmarks I've seen have it surpassing even the mighty Titan, which is quite a feat considering their prices, and I don't want to end up looking back and wishing I'd just saved a little more.

I've definitely been thinking of going ssd too, and with what you're saying Funky, that might be my next upgrade.