Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PC video game help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Morgan Dethloff, Oct 2, 2003.

1. I need help with my pc. I have purchased two games for my new computer. The first is commandos 2. The second is Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault. The problem is that anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes into the game, they both crash. Commandos 2 crashes to the desktop with no error message, and Allied Assualt freezes, with a Microsoft error message that says it must close.My video card drivers have been updated and I close my anti virus software when I play like it says in the FAQ of both games. My computer is brand new. It's an AMD with 2100 megs, 120 ghg hard drive, a new PNY 128 mhg video card and 512 megs of ram. Do you have any idea what could be the culprit? I appreciate your response ahead of time.

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I would suggest you check your DirectX version (Start->Run->dxdiag) but if this is wrong then it generally means the game won't run whatsoever rather than crashing out. Do you have adequate cooling/ventilation in your case? The heavy load of running those games might be causing your system to generate enough heat to become instable. What operating system are you running?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That is strange because I could run Commandos 2 on my 700mhz Pentium 3 laptop with only 4megs of video memory. So I really don't think the load should be a problem at all. I would make sure the video card is compatible with whatever Direct X version you have. That's probably not it but I like to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

brad cook

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Most games won't install without installing the latest version on DirectX... Try installing the games again... Windows can be a little fu***ng bitch sometimes though man.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

The latest version is 9.0(b). Most games don't require 9.0 and most video cards won't support it as far as I'm aware. So that's not really true.
    Check the game info for what version of DX is required.

brad cook

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Get all update patches for the games. Get new drivers for sound card and video card.

7. Sounds like overheating to me...

Remove the sidepanel from the case and run the game. If it doesn't crash, it was probably the heat.

Try adding a casefan.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I thought everyone had one these days? Given the amount of heat CPU's generate these days, not including one on a brand new system should be considered a crime!

If heat generated during load is causing this instability, it could probably be reproduced with a stress test using Prime95. Install Prime95, read the "Stress.txt" file found in the installation folder, run the program and choose "Torture test" from the "Options" menu. If you have any way of monitoring your CPU and Northbridge (often also called "case" or "system") temperatures and posting them here, that would be great.

9. Dell, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens, none of them have case fans (apart from the one in the power supply).

I have a 120mm Papst placed next to the graphics card. :bassist: No overheating problems here.

Try Motherboard Monitor for temp monitoring.