Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PC Vs. Mac.. gonna make the switch

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassman314, May 5, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have been a PC guy going on 10 years now... actually... 11... *L* I'm in the market for a new PC. Actually I'm planning out a semi-portable recording studio.. demo-tape quality, but something I can haul to the church, or to retreats and such and get a decent mix on.

I also need a box that can do the normal (Word Processing, Web, Web dev, graphics, etc.)

So in doing research, it looks like going Mac is gonna be the way to go *L*

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The current crop of powerbooks are fantastic laptops, offering a pretty unbeatable amount of features and portability for the price. Plus, OS X 10.4 'tiger' was just released, adding a bunch of really neat features to the operating system.

Garageband comes free with every mac, and it gives you unlimited audio tracks with 8 at a time recording capabilities, as well as a slew of really high quality effects, amp sims and midi instruments. It's what I use to create all my music.

Everything else, software related, comes with the computer too, there probably won't be any programs you'll need to buy outside of what's included. Except maybe photoshop, but even that may be changing soon.

A powerbook would be well suited to record, especially if you give it some more RAM.

If you want to sacrifice portability a little bit, you can get an iMac g5, they are also a pretty terrific value with all that you get for the price, They are easy to move around, and are far more powerful than the powerbooks, cheaper too.

The only reason to not get a mac, as far as I'm concerned, is if you're a gamer, in which case, you'll never be satisfied with the mac game catalogue.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* I never got into the gaming thing *L* so I'm cool there...

Plus the other side of MAC I like so far is that the whole system is integrated, chassis to OS. When a piece of hardware, even if it's NOT made by apple, says Mac Compatible, it means it. No troubleshooting over the install for 6 hours on something that supposedly is PNP.

I'll eventually add a FireWire 8-channel mixing board, external compressor, etc. Headphone amps, etc... have a nice l'il protable rack rig.. we'll see *L* it's a WIP.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You won't be sorry. I have used a Mac since I was in college in1984. They always work, they never crash, installs take 5 minutes.

I have heard that people are starting to come around. Some big companies are going to Apple servers and other devices.

I HAVE to work on a PC at school and I hate it. I can do it, but it's not the same at all.

Welcome to the club!

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
  6. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* = Laugh

I used some macs in High School.. in journalism we had these ancient Mac Classics runing ALDUS pagemaker.. Pagemaker sucked, but the Macs were troopers!

I've always been a PC guy 'cause up until recently, that's what I needed. PC still does CAD and mathematical analysis tools better. All the programming I needed to do was on or for PC's, so that's what I knew. I don't need that crap anymore *LOL*

I'm sick og my supposedly stable workstation deciding to crap itself out.

I remember in college a friend who was a mac-guy... he had just upgraded to 48 MB of RAM, so he and I decided to try to crash the system by using all of it... we maxed the RAM out and the thing wouldn't crash!! It was mildly slower... but still ran...

if My PC has less than 100MB in RAM remaining (of 320) XP decides to take it up and my system crawls *L*

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    My G4 was the nicest door stop I ever owned.

...and you're not nearly as excited to be here as I am! :spit:

8. I'm on my 2nd powermac and I won't go to a PC without a fight. I love my system. With 10.4 out, it's even more fun to use.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    macs are great. I started on them, but have been stuck with pc's because of compatibility for quite a few years now. I think my next machine (pun for those uber-dorks like me... 10 points if you get that one...)will be an apple product.

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  11. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Soooo..

The question is now what specs should I be looking at? I can spec out a PC in 35 seconds and know what I got is a good machine.

For a Mac to do music and graphics (nothing 3D.. just web crap), what should I be looking at?

What speed processor and front side BUS?

How Much RAM?

I know I'll want to have atleast 100GB of HD space..

What else?

12. They just came out with a G5 for the Imac. They may be pushing a new powerbook with the G5 soon. For now, G4 PB's are all they have but in a few different speeds. What exactly are you looking for performance wise?

13. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    See that's my problem... I don't know how the specs compare.

I know I'll need tons of storage and tons of RAM for running music editing software and such.

I know I'll need a semi-beefy processor to handle the hardware of an external mixer (an eventual purchase)

Really.. that's all I know *L*

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Once you go Mac, you never go back.

I recently got a G5 tower, and I am more than ecstatic.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

All the powerbooks and all the iMacs and all the powermacs will be fine, processing power-wise for recording assuming you have ample RAM(1 GB is usually good, 2 is you can)

The iMacs and powermacs have 7200 RPM hard drives, the powerbooks have 5400 RPM. So, you will get a better performance boost from the iMacs and Powermacs.

That said, I record all my music(lots of effects, lots of tracks) on a year old powerbook with 512 RAM and a 4800 RPM hard drive, so YMMV.

Basically, all of apple's current offerings, with the exception of maybe the iBook, eMac and Mac Mini are able to do moderate to heavy recording.

If you want ultra portability, get a powerbook, otherwise the iMac is probably your best buy.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've debated getting a Mac for a while, probably a powerbook, something portable. I need a PC, though, for while I'm not a gamer, I do like to be able to play them if one of them happens to be neat.

However, a mac for everyday use would suit me fine. I'm usually only ever using the Internet and Winamp at any given time. I could certainly see having my PC tower system as a game/media rig (recording, gaming) and a Mac powerbook as the regular machine.

17. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I am a Mac convert. Spent last winter wrestling with a PC and ProTools. Nothing ruins a great take like an error message. Picked up a Mac Powerbook on the recomendation of my studio equipment salesman. He was right, it has amazed me with overall reliability. The Mac wasn't cheap, but the good stuff never is. I also enjoy the iTunes application, it is a convinient service for downloading songs and for format conversion.

18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I have to disagree with some of your points here.

First off, let me say that IMO Macs as a hole are WAY better than PCs as a whole, but the generalizations made about both are misleading and unfair.

I use both PCs and Macs regularly and Macs DO crash, and there are often install issues (ever try to update just ONE app and end up needing to upgrade 6 others because of incompatabilities, I have many times!!! I still have one Mac that neither Apple or UMAX can get to operate a scanner for more than 10 minutes without needing to be rebooted.)

I also have a PC in my basement I use as a file server which is running Windows 2000 and has 1.2 terabytes of hard drives on it. It has now been running self sufficiently for nearly 4 years now (it reboots itslef every day at 2 AM, so no it hasn't been running for 4 years strait, but I haven't had a monitor connected to it for well over 2 years)

I love the G5's we have at work, but I could never afford to by one at home, which sucks. I also wish they would put an EJECT button on the DVD drive. I have people often bring me discs they are having problems with and once you get a CD in the drive and it starts trying to mount it, if it has any probems you cannot eject it, and there's no way to physically get the tray to shoot out without opening it up (I'd guess that's happened 5-6 times in the last year)

Don't forget, I agree with you, go Mac and you will be happy, but it's still a machine and things can and will go wrong on occasion.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea, there are definitely some issues with macs, here and there. It is possible to crash them(kernel panics) but typically, on a whole, they do just work a lot better, with less crashes and random problems.

That said, most of the problems you'll encounter on a mac, are usually directly related to 3rd party hardware and software vendors mucking things up, doing shoddy application ports and/or having shoddy applications to begin with. For instance, I bought cheap RAM for my powerbook, and it resulted in my powerbook crashing unexpectedly numerous times. I removed the RAM and it ran flawlessly again, hasn't crashed since.

There are still random legacy and/or compatibility blurbs here and there, but on the whole there is usually a solution for everything with OS X, and generally the solutions are more intuitive and well thought out.

But yes, macs are definitely not infallible.

20. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Ya know.. I'm honestly shocked... I expected some Microserf to come in by this point and lambast all of us for even looking beyond the Gatian Utopian Experience that is Windows 2003... perhaps all is not perfect in Redmond...

Anyway, I'm checking out Apple's site now... I'd LOVE to get a Powerbook or a Powermac, but I think that's just not going to happen *L*

That being said, I think the iMAC is my best choice...

SO I'm looking at the 17" 2GHz model...

It comes w/ 512MB RAM and a 160GB HD.

I can upgrade to 1GB RAM for $125. Is another 512MB or 1 GB DIMM aftermarket cheaper?

Is it worth it to start with the 160 GB drive and either add another internal drive later (if possible) or to add an external drive?

I appreciate all the help y'all are giving me.