1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PC vs. Mac vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Windows

41.7%
  2. Macintosh

38.1%
  3. Linux/Unix

20.2%
  1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used to be a PC guy, I've rocked Linux in the past, but now, I'm diggin' the Mac. What's your weapon of choice?

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Buwahahahahaha. You're an evil man. *grabs popcorn and scoots chair closer* :D

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    PC for now. It's what I was raised on. Sure windows 98 was a BITCH... but XP works fine for me. I haven't crashed yet. Anything that has gone wrong was my fault. My new laptop with all the security jazz has been absolutely flawless. I love mac products, but the business department of the school I was going to go to didn't allow Macs so when my PC died (hardware failure, not OS related) I got a windows based laptop. And with the school I'm going to now, they're giving me a laptop for free so I'm going to have two PC laptops, haha.

Eventually I'll get a mac... especially once I get more into production...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree entirely. I use Windows often and have no problem bouncing between the two. Sure, sometimes I'll hit alt-F4 instead of command-Q or vice versa, but frankly, the biggest reason I went Mac instead of PC was for the hardware. I'll take a Macbook over any PC laptop out there.

5. Windows. I'm a fan of spyware.

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Some say spyware, I say secret admirers!

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Got one. I have a brand new MacBook Pro laptop and a 20" iMac desktop. My wife has my old ibook. Love Macs. I still have our PC, a rather nice Dell. We never use it. I'll leave it at that. Continue.

8. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I made my living as a Windows and Unix SysAdmin over the past @) years, but at home I stopped using Windows and Linux and it's all Mac now. Life is so much nicer now with Mac.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm a PC guy unfortunately, but I will be a Mac guy as soon as I graduate!

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I really like linux but, music software and FSX keep me with XP.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Apparently Macs and Linux/Unix don't run on PCs? What do they use, then?

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Mac.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have a PC desktop right now but I'm getting a Macbook before university starts.

14. I'm a PC (Windows) guy, at least for the time being. I'll re-evaluate my options once my current computer no longer serves my needs. It's been 5 years or so of smooth sailing on this one.

The high cost of buying a Mac would probably be prohibitive for me if I had to replace my computer within the next couple of years, though.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Linux. But I am a software guy. I prefer well designed software over well marketed software. Even though I realize that marketing beats good design :scowl:

16. XP/Linux for most uses, XP 75% Linux 25%.

Then at the Graphic Design labs on Campus I am forced to use Macs so I have a good amount of experience with them.

17. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

My laptop dual boots into Linux and XP. I spend most of my time in Linux. Whenever, I boot into Windows it feels very weird and clunky to me. That is odd because I've only had Linux going on my laptop for about a month now and I've been using Windows for over half of my life.

18. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    PC. I love playing games and not spending $2K on a new computer.

19. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    It's a dumbass machine, that's all. I use Windows because my clients do.

They all fail mysteriously, and it's almost always because of unmentionables in the keyboard. Yesterday I had to remove the left shift key because a piece of Swedish Crisp Bread had gotten stuck underneath it.

If people were aware of how a two year old keyboard looks inside, they'd be wearing latex gloves and surgical masks.

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've been with Windows for years, but a couple of years ago I got my first Mac. Or two, actually, and one for my mother, too. I've always had a Windows desktop as a backup, though. Now I'm thinking about replacing my PC desktop with a new Mac laptop to run through a larger monitor - it's a bit weird not to have the Windows I've been used to have for all these years, but I can always dualboot it - and I can't bring myself to buy a PC laptop after owning iBook and handling a MacBook.

It's a strange feeling with Macs, that you actually don't have to do anything to get them running. It's like they are permanently set on auto-pilot.. :meh: