1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PCBs for DIY clone 2-band Preamps

Discussion in 'TalkBass Bazaar: Effects & Electronics' started by UncleFluffy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. El Musico Loco

El Musico Loco Commercial User

May 30, 2011
    Denia, Spain
    Owner: El Músico Loco
    Hi,
    Thanks for the great project. I was wondering where everyone is sourcing the pots for this build. These values are seemingly hard to source with long enough shafts to use in a guitar. Would be great to know what others are using.
    Thanks,

Chris

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Got some time this evening to answer PMs, but didn't get through them all. Will reply to everyone else tomorrow.

Just as a general update though, the boards are here but the components for the kits haven't yet arrived. Best guess is another couple of weeks before I'll be able to ship out kits.

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    All current paid orders shipped today - US orders should arrive within a week, further afield may take up to two weeks.

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Kit update: the supplier I was using finally emailed me to say they were out of stock on the opamps. Going to go hunt for an alternative, might add a $ or two to the final price depending on how good a deal I can work out.

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Shipped out this week's batch today.

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Parts for the kits have started rolling in. So far, Canada is beating Singapore in the delivery stakes. Not surprising, really...

DSCN1948.

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Latest news: more parts for the kits have arrived. I think there's everything but my workshop is full of moving boxes so it's difficult to figure out what's what right now.

The observant folks amongst you may have noticed a lack of my BS in TBOT the last week or so - we've been dodging a lawsuit due to the guys we hired to replace the roof on the new place being dumbasses. (Not going to get any more specific than that). Everything's sorted out now, will hit the PMs tomorrow.

8. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Anyone willing to build 2? I have cash but no skillz :meh:

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    All paid boards up to today shipped out this morning.

10. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Folks - I started a new job this week (yup, new job and new house in the same month) will get to the orders in a couple of days.

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Got to a couple of PMs today.

Some folks were a bit disgruntled about my lack of timely replies, for which I apologise. Right now, my weekday consists of a 2 hour commute, long day at the new job, plus another long drive to the new house and back to drop off a truckload of our stuff. This weekend was two red-eye flights and a family wedding on the east coast so no time to catch up.

12. Rokoko

Rokoko

Nov 30, 2008
    ... Being one of the disgrunteld PM'ers, i would like to apologize for our pushyness. Im afraid G.A.S. got the better of us. Enjoy the wedding (and of cource the new house/job). I (and the other PM'ers hopefully) will try our best to wait patiently.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Well, I set up a table in the middle of a big pile of boxes in the "office" room today and dug out the PCBs, so I'll be able to start taking PCB orders again tomorrow.

Kits are still going to be a while until I can get the instructions and everything written. If anyone is interested in just a bag of parts without any instructions I could probably do that.

14. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    Derek,

I'd take 4 kits sans instructions. With a schematic or rudimentary parts list, I'm good.

I'll send a PM...

15. Rokoko

Rokoko

Nov 30, 2008
    Ill take kits without instructions as well

16. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Thanks all for the interest! I now have many PMs :)

Will restart the "store" this weekend and answer PMs and start bagging up kits.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    This is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Subscribed!

I just recently picked up two Stingrays a Classic and a Standard.

I'm curious if I installed this Pre in the Standard, would setting it up with an active passive switch work? I could then put a passive tone in place of the extra hole.

I was thinking it would be cool to be able to have a traditional passive tone and then flip a switch and go to that classic Stingray Zing.

I'm sure someone has thought of this before.

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    You can just add the passive tone without an a/p switch, but you could also have a push/pull to make it a/p.

People seem to mention that the passive tone of the pickup isn't great, so that's why it's rarely done... but having a PTC in a Stingray seems great to me, as well as serves a purpose for that extra hole.

But yeah, just wire up a passive tone pot, connect it to the volume out, BAM! PTC.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    A big hmmmmmmm. Will have to stew on that.

The idea was tobe able to switch from active to passive with a preset tone control which would remove the Zing from the tone all together. Not sure what a passive tone on top of the pre would sound like. I tried that on a Bart Pre in place of the treble controls and did not like the results.

What I'm looking for is that big, giant, fat, warm, and round tone of my 53 P Bass (single coil passive) and the stock Stingray tone without taking two Basses to a gig.

I'll try to experment with EQ settings more on the two Basses to see if I can find a happy medium and find it on the fly.

20. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you turn the treble all the way down, and the bass all the way up, you get a nice thick tone with no zing. At least that's how it's been working in my basses which do not have Musicman pickups in them.