1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PD7 Modifications

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. Pickle, May 9, 2006.

1. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    basically, is there any way i can hook up a bypass, preferably a true bypass, switch to my pd7. i want to have the distortion channel, but i want to completely bypass the clean channel. any ideas?

k,
    me

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    You could try some sort of looper, or something. Do a quiuck search on the forums here for Looper (or Loooper, I think was one of them) and it should give you some good results.

-Dash

3. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    *bump

4. I think the cheapest way to do it is to get some kind of loooper

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    What's wrong with the bypass?

6. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    there isn't a bypass.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I believe that you're confused. The "clean channel" that you mention in the 1st post is the bypass. The effect is on (distorted, in this case) or bypassed (clean). What lowmid is asking is what don't you like about the "clean channal", as you put it. My guess is that the effect is bleeding into your signal when the effect is bypassed (clean)?

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

To clarify, there is a "clean setting that lets you still use the bass, treble, and level controls AND if you stomp on the switch, I believe it goes into a real bypass (but can't find it documented yet). It certainly "clicks" like a real bypass switch.

9. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    So you would like to be able to switch between the OD and Dist modes with your foot? Or are you looking to put in a bypass switch for the whole pedal itself...like Hit the button Dry clean tone, hit it again PD7 distortion?

10. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    ok, it bypasses it to the pedals clean channel. the clean channel gives it a very processed sound and i dont want to have to mess with the eq, especially b/c how i have it eq on clean sounds like ass when distorted.

ron,
    imagine the pedal how it is now. now imagine that if you step on the switch, the pedal is either ON or OFF, not always ON, which it basically is. that means, when the pedal is OFF and/or BYPASSED, the eq will have no effect. think of like a big muff or something.

11. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    u can still mess w/ the eq on the pedal when it's 'bypassed' so i dont consider it a bypass.

12. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm still a little confused as the problem. But from what I gather a bypass looper will get what you need.

Just for clarification when you turn off the pedal the EQ on the pedal still effects your tone, and you do not want that?

In which case the bypass looper is the cheapest and easiest way to solve that problem. www.loop-master.com is a good place to get them. (the other was loooper.com but he's been out of commission for awhile now.)

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Strange.

14. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    no, because like i said before, it gives a processed sound. also, the eq that makes it sound decent on the clean channel is quite a bit different than when the distorted channel is on. i want the eq for when i'm using the distortion/overdrive feature of the pedal, but when i turn it off, i dont want the pedal affecting my tone.

15. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    why? there might be some textbook definition of what bypass means, but to me, if the pedal is affecting and/or can alter my sound while you're supposed to be 'bypassing' it, it's not really a bypass. technically, it's bypassing the distortion channel, but come on...

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Looked into it. According to the manual, under descriptions, #8 is the footswitch:

The clean channel thing your talking about is the mode switch, right?:

So, now I'm really confused :confused:
    If you don't want to use the clean mode, leave the switch on OD or DIST....

17. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    ^^^ no, not at all. i'm aware there you can switch it over to clean via the three way switch, but when you turn the pedal 'off' (the LED ISN'T illuminated) the eq on the pedal still affects my tone.

18. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    So, then, you need some sort of Looper. That's the only think that'll fix your problem.

-Dash

19. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, the looper is the way to do. Even if someone could install a true bypass switch on that pedal, it would cost more than the pedal itself. Any probably be much more hassle than anything. A looper pedal is the way to go www.loop-master.com and robert keeley makes one too. Don't remember which is cheaper.

20. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Well then... I'd say the pedal's busted cus that's not whats supposed to happen!

Anyway, like Dash Rantic and Ron Now have said, the only way to bypass your pedal is to use a looper. Then you just leave the PD7 on, and "activate" it using the looper.