Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PDA's, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I got few bucks from my parents as a birthday gift, and I've been lately getting several marks per week in my paper calendar because of school and student organization activities, so I've been eyeing PDA's as a bit more hightech solution.

The prices aren't bad - 150 bucks for a Palm Zire 31 with color display and ability to play mp3's - but still it's plenty enough outta college students pocket..

If there are there people who have made the similar transition, would you recommend it? I'm still bit sceptic about the stylus input method - I briefly owned a Sony Ericsson P800 phone and wasn't happy with the touchscreen.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a zire 72 - can't live without an organizer - i'm about as ADD as you can get! :D

i started off using "day runners" in the early 90's, then i bought an Apple Newton, then a Palm, then a Handspring and now i have a Palm Zire - get's the job done for me.

it also prevents me from bringing home a magazine, soda and a snickers bar when my old lady clearly asked me to buy 1/2 pound of lean ground, a loaf of bread, and some pads from the grocery store :D

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Too much info, broseph.

brad cook

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ;)

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    brad has such a dirty mind

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    My wife has determined that I need one of these devices. Can you set up little reminders, like "go get bread"? Or must you actually look and see if you have anything to do?

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    on mine, there are alarms and they do work great!

:)

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Alarms? Stu needs one that slaps you in the head.

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have an internal automatic reminder to go get bread. It goes off every time I go to make a sandwich and I'm out of bread.

brad cook

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D i'm sure they're working on those upgrades as we speak

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Do they have prompts? I understand that a bell could ring or something, but will it remind you to slap Brad or take medicine and stuff? How about apoinments? I guess will it tell you the reason for the alarm?

And Brad still eats bread? :scowl:

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    No.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    For Digme's internal automatic reminder?

:confused:

I'm still using a Palm Vx. For what I do it works great. I also have a Blackberry but I like the Palm for daytimer type stuff.

14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I've had a zire 71 for about a year and it has been a big help. I'm one of those people that always writes themselves notes and now I keep it all there.

It's made my life easier plus now I don't have post-its everywhere.

15. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    You could probably do a lot of that stuff on a cell phone. I think my Motorola V220 has such features, I just don't use them ;)

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So now you stick all of your post-its to the Zire?

brad cook

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

IMO, no! I have an older Palm VII that just frikkin eats batteries and everytime I have to reload all my info when I change the batteries. Granted, I don't have a charger for it. I got it from my job's Lost & Found [unclaimed]. I would never have paid for one. You can't use it in the dark [can't speak for newer, current models] and can barely see it during the day. Crap! The wireless feature is nice if it works.

18. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm proud to say I haven't done that....

yet. :)

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    If I didn't have mine I'd be totally dis-com-boob-ulated....worth every penny I spent. Like NJL, I started out carrying a big leather-bound organizer back in the early 90's, got addicted to having EVERYTHING right THERE...the PDA is so much better. One day, when the price gets reasonable, I'm gonna get a Blackberry, cuz I am tired of carrying TWO things at all times....