Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PDA's?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scott D, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Anyone on here use a PDA?

I have a iPaq 3800, with windows and windows media player and the like.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Palm m500 (is this a PDA?)

very cool gadget, handy and very light...

extremely useful on med students like myself (tons of cool software that i have applied)

I would like to upgrade to a Tungsten though

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    the tungstens look nice, but i'm totally not impressed with their 16 MB of memory... my iPaq has 64 onboard, and i have a 64mb secure digital card... i know the tungsten is expandable-but 16 MB? if you're looking to upgrade, check out the iPaq's. they rock. i've written papers all over the place on this thing-its really handy. i just got to get a keyboard for it-then i'll be set. i actually got mine on an open box sale @ best buy for $214, it was a very good deal. my dad and brother have the handspring color ones, and they cost more than the iPaq, and the ipaq totally owns them. i can play awesome games, listen to music, and watch movies :)

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    mine has 8Mb and i have yet to use 40% of it :eek:

also i wouldn`t mind buying a 64 mb mem card

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well, they advertise that you can like play music and stuff on it (the tungsten). i just think they are way overpriced. check out an iPaq man, just go to your local best buy and try one out! they rock.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah i have seen them...

when the time come i`ll take your recomendation and check it out ^__^

ps: there's no best buy down here in mexico, but there`s an office depot and sometimes do these "open-box" sales too

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    oh... i didn't realize that "the seas of cheese" was mexico... :D BTW- i think all the mods should have the mr.smith avatar... it suits them well (pun intended...)

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah, we look classy and treatening even though we are really on our underwear right now :eek:

9. I bought a new iPAQ 3970 for 50 Euros (=54 US$). It was a show model with the Compaq logo on it. Now HP makes iPAQs, so tey couldn't sell it anymore. They gave the four show models away to personnel, and I bought one for Eur 50. No accessories, no questions asked.

The 3970 has bluetooth integrated, so I can play and audition downloaded MP3s from my main computer all over the house and outside, and browse the net (be it slow). Without the Bluetooth, even 50 euros would have been too much for me for a Pocket PC.

Windows CE
    64 MB RAM, SD slot
    65K color transflective TFT LCD
    USB/Serial/IrDA/Bluetooth 1.1
    Battery runtime is 8-10 hours with backlight

The 3970 was considered the best PDA on the market for a long time. At this moment, there are better ones.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've been through a couple of PDAs over the years. First contact was with Apple's Newton which we did some experimenting on at work. I then started using Psion handhelds, quite cool and versatile, but a bit bulky. Then switched to Palm and never looked back. Have had several of those, now a Tungsten T. Windows CE may make some sense if you want lots of functions and add-ons, but the Palm OS is unbeatable for its user friedliness IMO. If you primarily want the basic functions like calendar, phone book etc, the Palm is great, no frills but easy to use. The Tungsten T is also handy in that it is now my MP3 player, I keep all the songs we're currently rehearsing on an SD card, and I can listen to them in headphones or connect the Palm to the mixer at our rehearsal place.

11. olie

olie

Dec 16, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    Dell Axim Pocket PC.

I started on Newtons, moved to Palms, and I've found a usable PDA at last.

olie

12. My trusty Palm Vx is now "vintage", I guess - along with my Motorola StarTac 7797 phone!

Anyway - they've stood the test of time - I've dropped both of them on concrere (often wet) more times than any device should be subjected to - so they can't be that bad!

Back on topic, I love PalmOS for the fact that it tries to do only a few things well - it's fast, elegant, and simple. WinCE tries to do everything poorly (shades of big Windows?).

JMHO!

--jeff

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Handspring Visor (yeah I know, ol'skool), but I'm GAS'ing for Zire 71 (Palm Brand)... I have a Mac, so not all the PDA's work... Not even all of the Palm OS PDA's work... For Example the Sony Clie uses Palm OS, but it doesn't work for Mac... Go figure.

The Zire 71 is Color, have a bunch of memory, expandable and has a camera (granted it isn't the greatest camera)... It is good enough to use as a note-pad when trying to capsulate an idea for later use... Voice recorder too!

Anybody have a Palm Zire 71 yet?

[​IMG]

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have a Visor Neo. Probably not the best, but I use it to remind me of important dates and phone #'s, and addresses. Nothing more.

I like having one.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've always wanted a linux PDA with 802.11b/g and a pcmcia card slot. Anybody make that yet? I'll buy one when all these things are included. I had a Handspring Visor deluxe, but it sort of falls short in terms of reliability and features. My phone is far more capable.

16. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I got a Palm m130 as a going-to-college/birthday present along with a PowerBook G4 12". Both have been working beautifully for me at college. The palm is small, reliable, color, and does everything I need it to do. The laptop is just plain cool.

17. my friend got a dell pocket pc with the windows and all, very cool gadget. he brings it to school and plays snes roms on it all the time :p

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    My Visor is part of my gig-gear...(http://www.jairaj.net/photos/Gear/photos_gear.htm) it has kept me from double-booking and pissing off my girl with "taking" gigs on 'special' evenings...

A life saver to say the least... I have no idea how I got along without it before 1999...

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The research I'm doing right now involves using Palms. Specifically a Palm m130 with a bluetooth card, but if we go into full production we'd probably use a tungsten since it has built in bluetooth. Anyway, while the m130 is pretty nifty to me it's not really worth the $200 it costs. And you'd think it would have more than 8 megs of memory. But that's because I usually keep everything in my head and don't have a need for an organizer. That might change once I get into the real world though.

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Umm.. so what do you use your PDA's for? I've always thought they were just for fancy phone memo's / calendars.

Any good add-on's / functions for a student you'd like to mention, mr. Castello?