1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pdi-09/dummy load question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rogersjoe, Jun 16, 2014.

1. rogersjoe

rogersjoe Sakara Bassist

Aug 5, 2013
    West Springfield, MA
    I inherited a Palmer pdi-09 a few years ago. I recently decided I wanted to use a speaker simulator for quick set ups and break downs on smaller tours. Is there a device I can hook up to the pdi-09 to take the load? Seeing as how the pdi-09 is not a load bearing unit. I am using an orange terror bass 1000. Thank you

Bassist of Sakara
    www.facebook.com/sakaramusic
    www.sakaraband.com

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you're using a massive class D solid-state power section; there's absolutely zero point in trying to somehow dummy-load it. (also, as i understand it, with some class D amps the ground reference isn't the same, and trying to tap off the speaker out can risk sending very high voltages up the XLR line and burning up the mixing board channel!)

just take the preamp out to the PA, that's where all the amp's actual "tone" is coming from.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Very good advice, this is something to pay attention to these days as its more and more common.