Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PE Experience pedal with bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassWombat, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried using a Prescription Electronics Experience pedal with bass? There's a song we are working on that I can hear a fuzz + octave up bass part on and I remember liking what the Experience did on this front when I played guitar through one a few years ago.

Anyone?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sorry to dodge your question, honestly I don't know.

But, Black Cat makes a Bass Octave Fuzz specifically for bass guitar and those have gotten good reviews around here. Might be an alternative to the PE.

3. As a heads-up, I managed to get hold of an Experience pedal from a guitarist mate for last night's rehearsal. I must say it was absolutely fantastic with bass. On the fuzz setting, with the tone set very bassy I didn't feel like I was losing much at all and it was a very warm fuzz. Then when you kick in the octave you still get veryu solid bass with some great top end. I didn't play around with the "swell" setting as I was having too much fun with the fuzz!!!!!! :hyper:

Just thought I'd let everyone know in case you get a chance to try it yourself.

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    DAMN YOU!!! :crying: Now i have to try it... GAH!..

5. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    never tried an Experience, but i have tried the PE Clean Octave Blend and Outbox pedals on bass... both sounded great! I prefer the Outbox, in fact it's my main bass fuzz, but the COB might be what you're looking for. It's Octavia-ish with the addition of a blend control. I like it so much, i keep it around for my guitar-dabbling. And it won't hurt your wallet as much as the Experience.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    nice... Can you actualy tell me what the hell ythe outbox sounds like??? I can't find a good discription of it! And a run down on what the hell the switches do would also be killer!!!!!!! :D

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    No problem, here's my Outbox story... i had read about Page Hamilton (guitarist from Helmet) using one, and being a Helmet nut, i stumbled upon a used one and paid way too much for it. I wasn't playing much at the time, but working with a lot of bands in my studio. The Outbox became the "we need a really crazy f'd-up sound" pedal for guitarists. Play more than one note at a time and it goes into ring mod/self-modulation insanity. One day, we needed something nuts for a bass part, and the Big Muff just wasn't cutting it, so i grabbed the Outbox and WOW, so thick and full! The top AND bottom octaves are more present on bass than guitar, and the fuzz doesn't totally kill the note or dynamics of the player as most other fuzzes do (like a Big Muff). Then when i started playing bass again, it became a part of my pedalboard. I also use a Fulltone BassDrive in regular mode with the Drive control on zero, turned on all the time just for the tone, and run the Outbox into it when i want to fuzz things up.

As for the knobs and switches... Level and Gain speak for themselves. "Hair" controls the filter effect when the "More" switch is engaged (this is the mode i use). Hair can smooth out the top and increase the lower octave, or do the opposite if so desired. Then there's the "preset" switch, which just annoys me because it's smack in the middle of the pedal (where one would expect "on/off" to be), and it's a mid-scoop EQ circuit. Never use it, and because of the placement, the other two switches (On/Off and More) are difficult to hit with shoes on. That's my only gripe... lose the Preset switch (maybe make it a toggle?), and give the two useful switches better placement. Otherwise, it's one of my favorite pedals. And worth the insane price, for me at least.

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Thank you so very much sir, you have made my day!!!

cheers

Alex