Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peak problems -- just started

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickv, Sep 2, 2004.

1. nickv

nickv Guest

Dec 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Hi guys, i play an ampeg bsp preamp through a behringer 1500 power amp into an ampeg 2x10 and an ampeg 1x15

Lately when i have played all of my stuff has been super quiet and when i turn it up i get serious peaks. Actually on the a string with the gain lower than 12 o clock and eq below 12 as well peaks on the lightest slap. I did a search and people said the peaks aren't so bad for your equipment but the problem is i used to have my stuff turned up way louder and never peaked. I just want to find the problem. I thought it was my bass (hohner bbass V with active preamp) but i tried it on other amps and it's not peaking on my other amps.

What troubleshooting steps should i take ?

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I assume you mean you have the "peak led" lighting more than you think it should?

The peak led "watches" a number of internal stages in addition to the input. That means that "peaking" can occur (peak light triggered) due to a high internal signal level even with low volume output, depending on control settings.

If you have any EQ up then the peak led can come on even when volume is "soft". I know you said the controls were down, but "EQ" includes the switches as well as the controls.

Same if you keep the master down. Then if you compensate by boosting anything else, like the gain control, the internal stages may be working harder in order to get adequate volume through the turned-down master control, and peak light may light.

I suppose there is a chance that the peak light circuit might have a loose connection and be too sensitive.

But before assuming something is wrong, look at your EQ and see if you have a switch on, and/or are boosting something without realizing it.

3. Any chance one of the preamp tubes is bad? I'm not sure which ones they use but it might be worth having an amp tech check them out. It shouldn't be hard or pricey to do that.

Ampeg insider - your opinion?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The SVP-BSP has one 12AX7 tube, but this is not the case here. Nick, the Gain led will light even if there's no distortion-causing peak. Keeping it at noon will be allright. If you want more volume, turn the Volume and the Master up.
    I also have an SVP-BSP, and i play an active 6 with Gain at 1-1:30pm on the clean and have no problems

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Peaks are normal with slap. Are you sure it never peaked before or you just didnt notice it?
    And by peak you mean the peak led giong up, right? So no distortion sound

As I said, it should be alright. Just dont turn the Gain way up, use rather the Volume, Master on the pre and Volume on your bass.
    As a last resort you can push in the -6dB switch and check if it goes on then - it shouldnt then, unless there's some problem

6. nickv

nickv Guest

Dec 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Well it is on the slap and my volume and master are full or close to full, but it has never lit up before when i had the volume full and the eq pushing more than it is now. How can I check my peak light circuit? Thanks all of you for your advice. Also before someone mentions it i have tried new batteries on my guitar.

Also would my poweramp settings cause the preamp peak light to come on or not.

Thanks

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It lights up. Does it light up when you play or does it light up all by itself, without you even touching a string? If the second, then there is a problem wiith the Gain circuit. But I dont think that's the case here.
    How hard do you have to play so that it lights up? Does it light up at the slightest touch? If it only lights up when you play a bit harder or when you spa, thats completely normal.
    And: do you hear distortion when its up? If not, then just ignore that lightshow. ;)

As for the poweramp causing that, I dont think thats possible. However, I'm not a tech.

8. nickv

nickv Guest

Dec 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    i always play hard and will just ignore it because there is no sound disortion i was just disturbed because it lights up more than it has in the past.