Peanuts Theme

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Mar 10, 2001.

1. What do you guys think about playing this song live at shows? Do you think I should just play it like it is or make a new version of it for my band?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, this song survived both Danny Gatton and Stu Hamm, so why not? ;)

But EVERYBODY knows the original, so yours gonna be judged against that...if you think you can do it, do it - if not sure, better leave it alone...
  3. I think I can do it. =) Hehe, I'm going to write out the music for my guitarists to play so I don't have to try and show them =P
  4. i have been playing this song for years. great for live shows the audience seems to love it.:D

right up there with Barney Miller, Sanford and Son and the Fat Albert theme.

every one seems to love them.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...personally, I'd go a different way with "Linus & Lucy". After reading this thread, I went off & tried playing the tune's bass figure in a couple different feels.
    I like this Latin-ish groove using only a couple notes from the original bassline-
    Rhythm(in 1/8 notes, a very typical Latin bass figure)-

/...Eb_.Ab_/...Eb_.F_/ 3x's(I think)
    /...F#_.B_/...F#_.G#_/ 1x
    /...Eb_.Ab_/...Eb_.F_/ 1x
    Next section(the part with the piano fill)can be played verbatim(to clue everybody else in, eh?) ;)

A tripletted Hip Hop-ish Funky groove during the verse sounds "cool", too; as does a Reggae feel.
    I haven't thought about an odd time angle to "Linus & Lucy"...yet. ;)
  6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Stu Hamm's version is terrific! it's also a great study on two handed tapping (and a great way to impress your audience). "Linus and Lucy" is one of the reasons because i love Stu's style so much. When i saw him playing this in his "Slap, pop and tap for the bass" video, my jaws dropped. I can play it (after struggling with it for a long time) and still consider it one of my great achievements. Of course i don't play it like Stu, but anyway, it's a great time to me when do it. :)
  7. your jaws drop? :D hehe, can I hear a wav or mp3 of you playing it?
  8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Please let me know how to record an mp3 or .wav file (i'm not into that stuff) and i'll send it to you. :)
  9. well, if you have a microphone for your computer you can just use windows' sound recorder and then go to and download an encoder to make an mp3.
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    A band called We Be Toys did a great guitar-based version of this. I say, GO FOR IT!
  11. The Built to Spill live album has a really cool version of Linus and Lucy.
  12. cool idea....

on a side´s note:
    for my concerts in school (last year in this school), my band will play a different version of the flinstones theme... that´s really cool!! :D
  13. I have the original(from the t.v. specials)peanuts theme.Downloaded it from Napster some time ago.Man,that tune makes you wanna git up `n dance! I think it would be great fun(for the band and the audience)to hear that song! :)
  14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I really like the version of Linus & Lucy that Wynton Marsalis played. Actually I think the whole album Joe Cool`s Blues is good.

As for playing the Stu Hamm version that will definitely impress people. I went and tried out for a band the other day and all I had to do was play the peanuts theme and the guitar players were just like `damn you`re in the band`.
  15. You played it like stu? The whole thing? Eep. hehe. I wanna hear some people play it like him. So you people who know how to, make a wav or mp3 and link me to it!
  16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I wish I could play the whole thing like Stu. I can only play the beginning, where he is playing it pretty much like the original.
  17. Oh, alright. I just do the bass part, lol. I suck. I can tap the bass part. I use my index, ring, and pinkie to do it. But I lose it when I do the higher up part.
  18. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Yeah I had some trouble when I tried to play both parts together at the same time at first. But if you slow it down and figure out exactly where each tap comes and gradually speed it up it'll come naturally.
  19. I'm a little late on this topic but here goes...

My son is 13 and plays sax in the band and jazz ensemble. We wanted to put together a little duet for sax and bass and chose "Linus and Lucy". We had his sax instructor write a custom arrangement for us. I played fretless and he wailed on alto! The minimalist approach worked very well.
  20. Ham, that's pretty cool man.

Alvaro, got the mp3 of ya. great work!