Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pearce BC1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 73jbass, Jul 16, 2004.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Anybody ever used one of these? I'm seriously eyeballing one and might go ahead and buy it tomorrow. It's the only pre I could find with 2 seperate but identical channels,which I really need.I will be running it into a Stewart 1.6.(I hope) Any info will be greatly appreciated.Reply to personal email prefered.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yep...

They're not really "identical" channels...the distortion circuitry is different, resulting in different tone when you crank up the gain.

I enjoy the possibilities of all the patching options...it has about 300 patch points ;)

The "problem" with the BC-1 is its low output...rated +2dBU I believe (rather than +4 dBU). I custom ordered my QSC PLX2402 to eliminate the problem.

My BC-1 doesn't have the Billy Sheehan mod...and I'm having the darnest time finding out specifics about it (the Billy mod gives one channel lead guitar amp like gain for massive distortion).

If you have specific questions, please PM me or shoot me an email.

3. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    If you want to separate and identical channels, look at the Raven Labs Universal Stereo Instrument Preamp. I've got one that I run with a Stewart 1.2 and it is an excellent preamp.

-Eric.

4. I had a BC-1 and would agree that the Raven Labs USIP is another unit to look at if your trying to get 2 identical channels. The out level on the BC-1 is low and may require an amp mod depending on what you are going to be driving....

T

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Of these two preamps (the BC-1 and USIP), only the Pearce offers footswitchable channels.

73jbass...what are you hoping to do with it?

6. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have a pearce with the footswitch on the way.I looked at the Raven as a couple of you suggested,but, you can't switch between the 2 channels on thre fly.For the studio,It's probable great,but live,I don't know.

7. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    True, the USIP lacks footswitch capability. However, it does have a blend knob and I use that to switch back and forth between basses all the time. The only complaint I'd make is the knobs are a tad small and pretty close together.

8. If I might get in a moment, I am also looking at a BC-1- and my question is: Do the separate channels have their own outputs? I want to run each channel into its own power amp channel, then out to speakers. Is this possible?

Thanks!...

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Two separate identical channels = Alembic F-2B.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Each channel has its own input and there's a third jack supplying both channels.

As for outputs, the answer is "sort of". You'd have to use the effects sends or something down stream from that (haven't owned one in a year or so...). The main output is a mono blend of the two channels (each channel does have it's own output volume though.

When I had mine, I ran my bass into the combined input, ran the main (blended output) to one channel of my power amp to a 1x15 cabinet and the output of the clean channel to the other channel of my power amp to an Acme B2.

When I played clean, both cabinet received a clean tone, when I engaged the distortion channel (I wired my two button footswitch for 1 or 2 and 1+2 (select or combine)), only the 15 got to distorted signal (blended with the clean signal) while the Acme stayed clean. Worked great!

11. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Wow,I forgot all about this thread! 3 years old.(lol) I'm using a BC-1 on my main rig into a Stewart 2.1,and I have another one at home for practice,and as a backup. I just love them! Neither of mine have the Sheenan mod,so I can get a nice clean tone on both channels. I usually set up channel 1 for my SR5 and Sterling,and 2 for a fretless. I don't know why someone else doesn't make a preamp similar to it.

12. When you say "output of the clean channel", do you mean the effects send for that channel? Then I understand it!

73jbass, Ampeg makes something similar in the SVP-BSP model preamp.

Glad I could tap into this thread after 3 years! Thanks guys.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yes, the effects send for that channel... IIRC, it's just a few unity gain mixer sections away from the "line output". I'd have to consult the schematic to be sure.

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The effect send of each channel is post the master volume, so yes, you can have two completely separate channels. You'll get a good idea of all the possibilities on Saturday, Count Bassie! We should have plenty of patch cables!

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I really lust after those old Pearce preamps.

I'm not sure why, but I just do. In the meantime, I suppose I'll have to make do with my Brunetti.

16. Aha, excellennnnnnt. Cool Kev! Thanks BillyB for the comprehensivity!

17. This seems like the thread to stick with for this.

So, now I'm looking at my power amp. I bought KPJ's Pearce last week (many thanks, one more tedious time again!), and am running it into a Crest FA 901 power amp. The power from the Crest is reasonable, on it's own (800 'rms' at 4 ohms, 600 at 8 ohms- bridged), but I understand there's a +2 dB spec on the Pearce's gain that has been described as "low".

Now my question has to do with input sensitivity of the power amp the Pearce runs to: The owner's manual (and thanks Pbass2) indicates that an input voltage of 1.0 is optimal to get the most out of the BC 1. My Crest specs are .775 v... so is this less than optimal? Yes it is, isn't it?

Obviously it would be fun to get whatever the Pearce has to offer, so I wonder if anyone has a thought/offering on this idea? Thanks for your time, as usual!

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Nope, you've got it backwards. The Crest is a little more sensitive than the minimum spec the Pearce wants. In this case,a lower number = higher sensitivity. If you had an amp with, say, a 3 volt input sensitivity rating you'd have a problem driving the amp to full output unless you added a gain stage in between the preamp and the power amp.

19. brisonic

brisonic Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    This is/was Billy Sheehan's pre of choice, presumably when the ampeg sheehan pre wasnt being produced.

20. Ah, great! Thanks, Mr. Wind! :)

This is like waking up for school on Saturday morning... :hyper: Good news concerning gear is always a pleasant surprise, as I tend to be dense concerning it all. I'm trying to get it together and done so I don't have to think about it anymore. Cool.