Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pearl Jam throwing in the towel??!!??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by olps, Jul 14, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Is this true? Is Pearl Jam calling it quits after they make/tour thier last studio album (yet to be finished)?

2. Bah. REM said it'd break up at midnight on January 1, 2000...they're still kicking it.

It ain't over 'til somebody's dead, and even then it probably won't be (*cough*thewho*wheeze*).

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    They said that as joke thought in the early '80's. I don't think that they ever thought they'd make it that far. Everyone then proceeded to take it very seriously.

4. I remember the REM Rockumentary on MTV from 1993...they still seemed to be taking it seriously then. I seriously think they were starting to think they were played out at that point. (One could probably argue that today, but hey, "Imitation of Life" is an awesome song.)

5. Where did you hear about pearl jam breaking up??

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Jeff Ament sucks :D

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    About time, jeez.

Well, they were good, but they're just gettin too old for my tastes these days. Sad to see them go, but all good things must come to an end eventually.

8. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    BigBohn: ur right, they started of great, but there latest albums haven't been really cutting it.

chiliwili: I beleive I heard this on some "un-official" PJ site

9. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I meant that there latest albums haven't been cutting it with critics. I like them, but look at alot of album reviews, and you'll notice that there first albums (especially 10) get good ratings. Then they're newer albums aren't rated as highly.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Who cares what the critics say?

Personally, I prefer their later albums that are not as polished. And, they still kick serious booty live. They can certainly play rings around most of the bands considered popular at the present time.

11. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    amen to that
    :cool:

12. so who's gonna be the next stoner music band then?

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I hope they break up for their sake. Their music has really sucked lately and Eddie Vedder has become a tired old hippie. They are just embarassing themselves now, IMO.

14. What does age have to do with anything?? Music has absolutely nothing to do with age at all. You think that when people hit 30, all of a sudden they begin losing their talent?
    Who gives a damn what critics say?? Critics only care about popularity and give good reviews to whoever is hip or in at the time. IMO their last album 'Binaural' contained their best songs ever. They have done much, much better things since Ten.

15. "In your opinion" is right man....Tired old hippie???? LMAO!

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have to agree with this, look at all the old bands who are still around. I mean, Black Sabbath recently had their reunion tour (what, '99? '00?) The Who was still kickin' around, comin' off one hella awesome tour until, well, we all know what happened. Ozzy is still here, who else, eh, can't think....

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    lizard king and bassrdx, I am entitled to my own opinion without being scrutinized viciously by you or any body else.

Nobody put it better than the late Kurt Cobain, which he quoted from the Neil Young song "Hey Hey My My!", saying, "It's better to burn out than fade away."

18. i agree with you bigbohn, they really don't do it for me anymore. but at least they're not terrible yet... on the other hand, i REALLY wish that U2 would give it up. yech. not to mention paul mccartney, but that's a given.

19. I was under the impression Grunge was dead anyway. I wouldnt lose a wink of sleep if i never heard another Pearl Jam song again. Im not saying the sucked I just couldnt relate to/understand their stuff