Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pearl Jam: Touring Band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by purple_haze, Aug 24, 2001.

1. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I don't know whether this strictly qualifies as a "Recording" but anyway, have any of you got this?

Y'see, MTV2 Over here in England broadcast an hour's worth of it last night, and I found the song selection somewhat dissapointing. No "Alive", no "Better Man"....I was wondering if this was because MTV2 edited it to fit in the hour-slot they had or whether they showed all of it and whoever chose the songs did a pretty poor job.

And is it just me, or had the quality of PJ's performances dropped a tad? I saw their performance at the 2000 Rock Am Ring festival in Germany (also courtesy of MTV2) and that time they were awesome. The playing, the tone, Ed Vedder's singing all sounded great.

On "Touring Band", however, it all seemed a little rough around the edges...

2. they seemed tired to me...and sorta down...maybe because of Roskilde...

Non the less, the video is awesome...dvd is amazing...

3. i'd have to agree with you guys on that one. PJ have lost their energy on this tour. i saw them about a year ago, and was pretty dissapointed. the encore was a weak guitar solo my mike which was just a led zeppelin tune that he jammed on solo........what a waste.:(

4. As a fan of music...have you ever realized how concert ticket prices are going through the roof? Lots of bands just milk their "fans" out of their cash...this was done to show that they did not give a f**k about making millions more than what they could before...becoming famous hurt them quite a bit...

Oh, and what game may you be talking about? I never considered music a game...did you?

BTW, you should pick up the latest SPIN...and see what truly happened...

5. I thought this was a really good concert DVD of Pearl Jam at this point in their career. It has got a TON of songs on it, including some of my faves like "Rearview Mirror", "Better Man", "Nothingman", "Given to Fly", and "Evenflow."

It's true that they don't bomb around the stage like they used to...but man, that was 10 years ago now that "Ten" came out! They have all grown up some and aren't quite as into that as they used to be, though they can still get crazy on stage sometimes.

The sound is good, but not as good as I would have liked. I think the guitars are a little too loud, as it's tough to hear Eddie or Jeff very clearly.

The extras are great, including the original video for "Oceans" from Ten, and the genius (but disturbing) animated spectacle "Do the Evolution" video. Also, some touring goofiness outtakes which are kinda funny.

Overall, a worthy purchase for a PJ fan. I love these guys, but "Stop Making Sense: The Talking Heads" is still the best concert video, especially on DVD, I've ever seen....simply brilliant.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I think the PJ Touring Band DVD is a great DVD. While it may not be quite as good as the Seattle bootleg CD (which is an awesome 3 disc set :) ), it is still a great video of a great band playing live. I put it next to my Spinal Tap SE DVD and watch them both once a week.

7. I´ve been listening a lot of pearl jam for the last 6 months because I came to live with a friend who is a REAL pearl jam fan.. Before moving here, i hadn´t listened to anything from Pearl Jam for years.. This friend I live with, collects those live bootlegs and lisetns to them all day long.. Personally I dont like those live recordings by PJ, most of them sound very poor.. some songs have out of time guitar arrangements, crapy guitar sound, etc..

A friend of mine said they started to play more vaguely on purpouse, but.. What do I know. I just dont like how they sound live..

8. it's just poor, quick mixing....

9. I keep forgetting to check on that Pearl Jam dvd... everytime I have cash I squander it on a shirt or a cd...

But, The Smashing Pumpkins are coming out with a DVD of their final show! Can't wait for that. Anyone ever see those guys live?

10. i was right outside the stadium here in winnipeg...only caught Cherub Rock b/c i had to go to work...:mad:

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    really?
    (zombie voice on)

Must...get...

(zombie voice off)

:D :rolleyes: :D

12. They're also coming out with a trippy 'movie' that coincides with Machina & Machina II.

www.smashingpumpkins.com

Anyways, to get back on topic, how much did Touring Band cost?

13. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I saw it on TV...

14. We're not all blessed with MTV2.

;)

15. I picked up mine for 20 bucks.

16. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    who's the guitar player with white hair and a cigarette dangling out of his mouth? That guy frickin rules!!

17. blessed?!!

:p

18. Originally posted by lo-end
    who's the guitar player with white hair and a cigarette dangling out of his mouth? That guy frickin rules!!

Mike McCready, lead guitar.

19. damn...you beat me to it!!!!

Mike is a great influence on me...on bass, that is...but then again, everyone in PJ is a great influence :)

20. YES!

I love mtv2... concerts, videos by obscure bands no stupid reality shows or lists that no one really cares about.

Its heaven.

:D :cool: :D