Pearl Jam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Still Relevant

51 vote(s)
  2. A bunch of Has-Beens

40 vote(s)
  3. Pearl Who?

12 vote(s)
  4. I prefer my Jam with Carrots!

12 vote(s)
  1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Eddie Vedder is one of my least favorite singers ever. The Micheal Bolton of what I guess would be classified as rock.

And to me, they never mattered.

Ten might as well be their greatest hits disc.
  3. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Ten was their only good album as far as I'm concerned. However, I hear Matt Cameron has been drumming for them for a while now. Unfortunately, I don't much care for any of the music Soundgarden members have created since their demise.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    They are still popular up here where they are from. They don't seem to carry the same amount of weight they used to when you would mention the name. I still like the music.

5. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I love Pearl Jam.
    I love the way Ed sings... with heart and emotion. He pours everything he's got into it. I don't care for his political views as of the last few years, but I will always love this band.

Still relevant? To me they are. I'll never miss a live show when they come here. Great live band. Their studio work's so so. Live, is where they shine. Which is my measurement of a great band.
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    riot act was lame, imo.

really like ten, vs., and vitalogy. yeild was cool; binaural was ok.

7. i enjoyed ten, but the new stuff hasn't really hasn't done much for me...
  8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ten, still one of my favorite albums. Great stuff. VS was good, too.

After that, Eddie got a little too heavy into the vocal vibrato. And the overall music lost direction, I think. They're relevant in their own scene, but not as widely as they used to be.
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The only thing I dig about PJ is that they didn't get into the whole music video making thing.

10. Have you seen the video for "Jeremy" ? It scared the **** outta em.
  11. moi

Nov 19, 2004
    pearl jam pearl jam...what can i say,i used to love em,my first album was the yield album which i got when it came out,then bought ten,vs,vitalogy and no code and i really liked all of em!sometimes my favorite album was vitalogy,other times it was vs,i remember liking ten the least,then binaural came out and i got it but it bored the **** out of me,the music was so out of it...and i havent even heard riot act yet and i can live peacefully for the rest of my life without doing so,now about 5 years later i can say that ten was their best album and i dont know what the **** went wrong with vs.I guess the band was trying to hard to be "alternative" and prove to the mighty "alternative nation" how uncorporate they really were(cause ten was a freakin arena album!)and well they got so much into their ****ty experimentation and crap that now they dont even know what to do but to keep on being alternative.Now you can tell they'd like to go back to when they had potential to fill arenas but hell no you wanted alternative?YOU GOT ALTERNATIVE.

P.D.i saw em live on directv,**** they look like boring preppie college people,seems like a long way from theyr grungy 1991 days,which makes me think they were pretty much posers,hey i can't blame em!can't ask em to be junkies or ask Eddie to be dead,theyr still alive indeed but their music is plain dull
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I loved the first two albums, then they became lame....
  13. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    I just recently got into them, on advice from a friend, i now have six or seven albums and i love them all. They have changed since ten and vs, but not for better or worse, riot act is probably my favourite of their albums. Eddie vedder's lyrics are some of the best i've heard, and they all just lock in so well together. I think i'll go listen to Vitalogy now...

P.S. see below...
  14. I like them. I've bought their last compilation cd (I don't own any other PJ records so it seemed obvious to buy that one) and it's been in my cd player most of the time. Nice songs, nice lyrics, nice bass parts.
  15. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Yeah, "rear view mirror", their greatest hits disc, was definitely worth a purchase, if you ask me. Still has a bit of crap on it, but for the most part, it rocks.
  16. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Nice!!! I quote PJ as well :smug: I'll always love 'em. Jeff Ament is one bad mofo too!
  17. They were pretty popular when I was in college. I think Ten is a great disc, but the others did nothing for me. I always thought they were a band made my MTV. They tend to take a band or act under their wing and publicize the crap out of them. Special, unplugged, etc. I can still see scraggly Eddie Vedder writing "pro choice" on his forearm with a sharpie and moaning. :rollno:

.....and we thought that was cool.

on a side note, I still dig some of Jeff's fretless lines. AND, the guys were pretty funny in Singles. :D
  18. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  19. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Very good band. Any band who can put out good music consistently are just...good. Compared to the never-will-be's I'll take the has-beens anytime.