Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pearl Jam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Traveler, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Just wonderin' if anyone besides me in these forums are big Pearl Jam fans. If so, give me ur favorite songs and your opinions on Jeff Ament as a bassist.

2. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    well i havent been into Pearl Jam long but i think Ament is pretty good...right now my fav songs are Jeremy, Alive, Dissedent, and Garden....

3. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    My fav songs by them are Yellow Ledbetter, Immortality, Garden, Black, Release, Of the Girl, and Do the Evolution.

4. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    deep is the coolest song of theirs, its on 10.
    later
    Luaks

5. Ament doesnt get the credit he deserves, he has come up with some amazingly complex basslines. Compare the bassline of 'Alive' to 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'!!
    There are too many great PJ songs to name a favorite... But my fave album is definatley Binaural. No Code also rocks.
    Jim

6. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Yes my fav album is Binaural as well, it's one of there more mellow albums, not a hard rocker. But there's some great work put into it. Yes, I agree, Jeff is a much better player than whatshisface from Nirvana. 1-1-1-1 4-4-4-4 OOOhhhh,thats talent(not).

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´m a PJ fan and right now my fav songs are Ocean, Rats, Red Mosquito and Nothingman. And Jeff is really cool. Her´s definitely underrated.

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    pearl jam is great. does anyone else have the new spin? the mag did a "beatles: anthology" style pj story where the band and pj-related people (even including dave grohl!) recounting the 10 years after the release of "ten."

i think jeff ament is awesome. i heard one of their live cd's and his live tone is kinda bland, but that is usually true for most bands.

hey, give krist noveselic a break! listen to "lounge act" and say his bass lines are boring! all rock is easy, if you think about it. in fact, music is easy. it's all just 12 notes! (rolls eyes)

fav song of the moment: tremor christ

9. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    yeah i like pearl jam.

and ament is one of my favourite bass players. he has really cool lines, very understated but still with a lot of skill, and he can write good songs.

i love watching him play live. his technique is just incredible.

10. Yeah, I actually really like Krist, his basslines compliment the songs perfectly, which I guess is exactly what the bass is supposed to do. You're right, Lounge Act does have a great bassline, so do alot of Nirvana's grungier numbers, especially off of Incesticide, but none of them are overly complicated or difficult to play when compared to some of the stuff from bands like Pearl Jam.
    Jim

11. Pearl Jam has to be by far the greatest rock band alive. Jeff Ament is immensely underrated, especially in his bass playing skills. My favourite album has to be Yield, perfect mix of post-grunge hard rock and melody, with 10 a close second. I love Oceans, Betterman, Givent to Fly, Wishlist and Do the Evolution.

12. Do the Evolution, Yellow Led Better, Nothingman, Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town, Daughter, Alive, Given to Fly...

Jeff Ament is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's one of my all time favorite bassists!

13. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Yeah, all u guys are talking about your favorite albums from Pearl Jam. As far as their studio albums go, Binaural is prolly my fav with Yield and Vs. close second and third. The best bass work from Jeff came from their Ten album, though. But in my opinion, the studio albums don't hold a candle to the new live albums that have been released. 74 bootleg albums, one from every show on their 2000 tour. I love the sound of these albums, and Pearl Jam has one of the best live sounds. If u r a PJ fan, I highly recommend checking them out. As far as my comments on Noveselic earlier, I agree he does have some good basslines, I am just not as overly fond of him as I am Jeff Ament. Hey, I still love Nirvana though!

14. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I only have "10" at the moment. I am gonna get some more pearl jam albums soon. They are a truly great band.

I only found out today that "jeremy" is about him killing himself. I thought that he killed his classmates.

15. flames

flames Guest

Jun 30, 2001
    my house
    i think the bassplayer from pearl jam is really good better than
    chris or krist (whatever)from nirvana but he is good too
    smells like teen sprit is easy
    but what about "Come as you are"

16. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    concerning Krist Novoselic ... there's not really a lot for him to do when all Cobain really played was a bunch of power chords. go easy on the man, and for god's sake never mention the bass line from "Lounge Act" ever again ! people always bring that song up because it's the only one that they can think of ! okay ! jeezus :D
    Jeff Ament is amazing. his fretless implementation and intonation is truly flawless .. remember that he's got 3 guitars to contend with, and still does a nice job of getting heard and writing some equally nice lines. he's also an utter monkey on stage.

17. actually, most of Pearl Jam's tunes have two guitars, Eddie plays on a few tunes.

18. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Yes, and Pearl Jam's guitars get kind of odd and confusing when Eddie starts playing. Usually he will play rhythm, and Stone Gossard will switch to harmony guitar. Or sometimes they will both play rhythm, and yet they both still play different chords and it produces some very melodic sounds (i.e. MFC). Yes, Jeff is very hyperactive on stage, but then again so am I. =)

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    OK, I'm one of the poor souls who's never seen Pearl Jam live (even my parents saw them, opening for the
    Stones a few years back). I'm just dreaming of the ideal tour for two bands: Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews Band. C'mon, would that show not kick some serious ass?

My favorite Pearl Jam songs would have to be, as of this moment: Better Man, Nothingman, In Hiding, Black, and their version of Last Kiss.

20. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I love PJ, my favorite song is probably Do The Evolution.