Pearl Jam's bassist Jeff Ament

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sabbath1977, Mar 25, 2004.

1. When I first heard pearl jam,I didn't paid much attention at all, until I listened to their debut album,Ten.Their entire carreer is amazing, and the songwriting is excellent.Jeff Ament is a creative bassist,and very talented,and has influenced me one way or the other.
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair. well he should, especially depending upon the type of music you play. I had sort of dismissed Ament's playing for a long time, but picked up Ten again last year and give it a listen for the first time in a long time. He is a very steady, tasteful player. Not flashy, but then, their music does not call for flashiness. In the end, if a bassist's style and lines suit the music, it makes the player sound that much better.
  3. If you have a chance,check out their live bootleg: State College Pennsylvania,May 3rd 2003.This is a 3cd live concert.Jeff plays very simple,nothing complicated,but very deep from his heart.
  4. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Jeff's got a nice collection of basses as well. Watch some of the DVD's Pearl Jam has put out.

I think he is a great bassist and really compliments Stone and Mike. He writes a lot of stuff too.
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I love the looks of that Azola in the second pic.
    Tasteful player too.
  7. I saw pearl jam's live at the garden dvd today and really I enjoyed the performance.Jeff is pretty good with the upright bass as well.
  8. wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    Old thread- I realize this

But I watched the " Pearl Jam-Live at the Garden" DVD last night and noticed on the song "Evenflow", Jeff Ament plays a FRETLESS Wal!:eek: And he RIPS it! I can't imagine playing lines like that on a fretless. I gotta get one!:hyper:
  9. Studio version is fretless, too, IINM.
  10. wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    That's just unnecessary!! There are virtually no slides for him in that song! He did it just to mess with my head!
  11. my wife had a hankering for some PJ yesterday . . . haven't listened to it in years - gonna have to pop it back on the ipod!
  12. aBoMoFo

aBoMoFo Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    In evenflow the intros into the verses and choruses have a fretted + harmonic slide to em. Lots of muwah goin on too! Dig it!
  13. I think that whlole album is fretless, save the two or three songs with the 12 string.

Pearl Jam is my mom's favorite band so I heard them constantly growing up . I got really into them when I started playing bass and Jeff had me really gassin' for a fretless for a while.

they play Jazzfest this year to so I'll finally get to see them live.