Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pearl Jam's "Go"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tufnuts, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Hey all. I'm having trouble figuring out the beginning part to Pearl Jam's "Go". I'm not great at tapping/hammering parts, but I am certain I could play it. But...I'm not finding it tabbed out anywhere.

Anyone else ever played this song? If you figured out the beginning part, I'd be forever indebted to you if I could get some notation for this sucker. Standard's okay too. Just will take 5 more minutes.

Thanks all!

2. Tapping??? Hammering???

that's not ament-like...

i play it like so...

0-0-2-3--6-3-2-----0-0-2-3--6-3

all on E string, Drop D tuning

after a while he slides up to the 15th...

3. Yah, that comes after the little intro part. That's no problem at all. Almost 95% of the song.

BTW, sounds cool on the fretless (Duh)

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You mean the first five seconds? That's a guitar, right?

5. Guitarist watched em in concert. Said Ament did it. But I'd be willing to bet it's guitar. I may just fake it (wouldn't be the first time).

But if it can be done on guitar.....why not get close on bass

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Listening to the production would indicate it's a guitar (panned right, reverb). Overall tone sounds like a guitar too. But yeah, I suppose it could be done on bass as well.

I would love to help, but I can't figure out things like those without a proper slow-down tool (and I haven't got one at the moment).

7. Hey man, complete thanks. It's gotta be some derivation of 0-0-2-3--6-3-2-----0-0-2-3--6-3
    . We're gonna play the song, and I thought it'd be a good chance to learn some tap technique. Kinda a weak point with me.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I listened to it slowed down, and it's played kinda sloppy, and I find it hard to hear exactly what he's doing... but I the think he plays some kind of arpeggios over no3rd chords, D and C, perhaps with a minor 7th and I think he hits a B as the last note and slides down afterwards. That would make it something completely different than a derivation of the main riff.

I really suck at figuring things out. :(

Anyway, there are better songs (from an educational point of view) to learn tap technique with!

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    STRONGTESTICLES,

beware of the dreaded "tapping bug", that which will latch onto you the minute you manage to impress a minor with your tapped-out rendition of "Star Spangled Banner" .. :D