Pearloid Buttons Y-shaped chrome tuners for 5-string bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by szusman, Apr 24, 2017.

1. szusman

szusman Supporting Member

May 15, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I am trying to find five CHROME tuners with white pearloid buttons (three bass, two treble) that would replace a normal set of one-screw tuners (like Hipshot, Gotoh, Grover).

I've seen it on Yamaha basses (older Patitucci and East models with gold), but I really don't know where to find these to buy. I tried ALLPARTS and they said they had no idea. I'm hoping somebody out there either a) has them in a drawer, or b) knows who can make them for me!

Feel free to pm me or add to this thread. Thanks!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow, that's one I've never seen - good luck! You may be into custom territory.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Schaller is your best chance of getting what you want, contact them by email.

4. Halegroove

Halegroove Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    N. KY/Cincinnati, OH
    Did anyone have any luck with this? I would love some in white and red Pearloid. They offer guitar players every replacement option under the sun but not bass tuning keys.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's because bassists are stoic and reliable. ;)

Halegroove likes this.
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Okay, here is a possible source, but I'll warn you up front, this is a union shop and once the product is in your hands they want no more to do with you. If you have problems or one breaks, you're on your own. They also aren't available with 1/2 inch capstans. The bass tuner mounts in a 7/16 hole. That sounds like a 3/8 inch capstan but nowhere is that make explicit. If you're really desperate give'em a shot:
    Guitar Tuning Machines from Sperzel

Halegroove likes this.
  7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Looks like East's tuners are Gotoh....

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My experience with Sperzel was very different - great pre and post sales support.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022