1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pearloid pick guard for Squier Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bjabass, Mar 21, 2013.

1. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Anybody replaced a pickguard on a Squier Jazz with a Pearloid one that fits without drilling new holes? I am looking for one for our bandleaders backup bass. Its kind of a neon blue and would look great with white pearloid...

2. You will likely have to get a custom made one from like Jeannie's or Pickgaurdian.

3. framq

framq

Mar 25, 2012
    i've replaced the pg of my cv jazz with original fender pg's including perloid, and fits perfect.
    the only thing, is the truss rod notch. the MIM pg, will fit too, but i don't know if fender make those in perloid.

4. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    Guitar Fetish sells them for $17.95. Finding one requiring "no new holes" will be impossible. Besides what's the diff? the holes will be covered.

5. I think in general its less about "no new holes" and more about things like substantial gaps or overhangs at places like the control plate or neck joint, so people end up having to grind those down or take other steps like that.

6. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Try WD Music Products! I got one for my Black American Deluxe and it looks awesome! (White Pearloid)

$50.00 ish

Make sure you specify the exact model of your Jazz with them on their site.. Sorry...Don't have their URL handy.

7. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    P.S. The guard went right on my Deluxe as these are identical to the stock guard exactly.

No drilling etc. Worth the difference to save the bass! ;)

8. Fender pickguards (or ones to fit Fender models) don't necessarily fit onto Squiers.

9. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    One of the most returned items in our store is Fender Bass Pickguards.

Every time the reason is: "this doesn't fit my Squier!, you said it would fit a Fender."

Short answer, get one custom made because it probably doesn't exist.

10. +1 Bought a universal jazz bass pickguard from ebay that fit a MIM deluxe active jazz perfectly, but wouldn't fit my squier. Didn't check alignment of the screws, couldn't get it to fit over the pickup. Unless you have one custom made, you may want to try something from ebay. they have alot of universal pickguards to choose from, the one I got was from China, and looked pretty good. Arrived in a reasonable amount of time. I am almost positive modifications would have to be made, consider it quality time for the bass you love.

11. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    I don't have a problem drilling the holes on MY bass. I'll check and see if he does...

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I think it depends on when the bass was made. I bought a black pearloid guard and it fit darn-near perfectly onto an Affinity Jazz that was only a couple of years old. But to get it onto an older Standard Jazz (2009, I believe) I had to attack the neck pocket and pickup hole with a Dremel tool.

My theory is that the newer Squiers have been brought more "in line" with current Fenders, as far as their dimensions go. I suspect it's a change of doctrine within Fender regarding Squier. By making Squiers more compatible with Fenders, Squier owners can now buy Fender parts that will work. I think the older business plan, if it even was a plan, was to NOT have them be compatible, so if you wanted to customize your bass you HAD to buy a Fender.

To bjabass, what year is your Squier? If it's new enough, you may be in luck. If it's older than, say…2010, you may have to break out the sander.

13. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Considering the Squier's are made under contract by other companies, it was likely more of a "make us a strat" than "make us a strat to these specs XYZ". I don't think they ever planned anything as far as compatibility.
    On the same subject, I have a few Starcasters and Squiers in my store and while the made in Indonesia stamp is the same and the models are supposedly identical, the screw holes in the pickguards are completely different as well as the spacings and whatnot.
    Strange stuff indeed.

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Quite probably probable. But I can't help but notice that the instances of compatibility coincide with the tightening of quality control. That takes some hands-on management to achieve such change. Then again, my experiences may have been a fluke. It would be interesting to see if the current crop of CV's and VM's are compatible with Fender's replacement parts.

Meh…who knows? It's something I would love to ask some of the high-muckety-mucks at Fender and Squier, if I was sure I'd get an honest answer.

15. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    VA/PA
    You can buy a material sheet from Warmoth/Greasy Groove and cut it yourself so it fits exactly.

16. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Heh heh , shroud of turin p/g's at greasy groove site.

17. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Gah ! greasy groove is in canada!

18. If it's a CV Jazz and pickguard that is made to fit an MIA Jazz will fit it with no alteration or drilling of new holes. I've even ordered inexpensive imports from EYGuitar Parts and they fit just fine.

On other Squier models I'm not sure but a pearl pickguard I ordered from EY for a Squier Affinity Strat fit fine as well.

19. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Since it is not mine I don't know what year but I'd bet it's an Afinity. It was bought in a lot by my other guitar player with a bunch of other cheap instruments from a guy who was selling out his closed music store. No idea how long he had it.

I think buying a blank and tracing the original is the best option.

Thanks all.