Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavet T-40 vs Yamaha BB2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ron Linz, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Ron Linz

Ron Linz

Mar 2, 2005
    I'm looking for an older passive bass as a backup. My main bass is a Peavey Cirrus. Which of these two basses do you think is the most playable and has best tone; Peavey T-40 or Yamaha BB2000? I realize they are both heavey guitars. I owned a Gibson Thunderbird II for a while and it was a heavey beauty. I play mostly jazz, blues, contemporary Christian music.

2. I haven't played the Peavey but I had a BB 2000 and it was a great sounding and playing bass.Mine was an 80's,neck thru,P-j pickups,volume,tone and pickup selector switch.Easily one of the best tones I've had.Try them both but you can't go wrong with the Yamaha.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    bought a T40 five or so years ago, was the heaviest bass I've ever played.....didn't like it much at the time

4. i have a peavey t-40 and it has more tone than you could imagine. it is heavy but for a backup or to practice with it would be fine.

5. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    The Yamaha is ten times the instrument that the Peavey (God bless its humble aspirations) is.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The T-40 has a lot more tonal variety(maybe the most versatile passive bass ever) but the Yamaha is the better bass.

7. paul cuzzone

paul cuzzone

Mar 27, 2005
    anniston al.
    i have only played the t-40, and im not verry experienced... but i have played quite a few basses. the greatest bass i have ever played was the t-40. but word of warning, makesure u get a swamp ash wood body and mapel neck. and the older t-40's are better... they dont have a verry nicly shaped body and there ugly... but they play better than enything i've ever played. the neck is like a log tho.... but if you've got the hand size for it. get it.