1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 100 watt amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WookieeForLife, Sep 27, 2009.

1. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    An old peavey 100 watt amp is on craigs list for 100 smacks. Asked for pics from all angles. Saying that this is a solid amp and has nothing wrong with it, is it a good deal?

P.S. I have a 65 watt amp now, looking for something to run a line out into.

2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    If all you need is a power amp, the new Peavey IPRs (supposed to ship in November) are $299 for 1,600 watts (and only weigh 7 pounds) so the dollar-to-watt ratio you've found is out of line, especially for used gear, unless it's something collectible, all-tube, etc.

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    What model is it? I mean, is it a combo amp? Price sounds right on if it is... Unfortunately you can't just figure out a dollar per watt from the big power amps (and these are just amps, which need a additional preamp to be useful) and then apply that to the littler ones, regardless of your intended use for it. There is a point where they don't get much cheaper (~$100...)

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Yeah, I agree if you want/need a preamp and speaker then a $100 combo can be a good deal. Be careful that it's really 100 watts--some Peavey model numbers sound like a reference to watts when they're not, like the KBA-100 (60 watt keyboard amp). Also, sometimes sellers think the number on the back of the amp near the power cable that refers to power consumption is the wattage that the amplifier puts out.

5. I dont think Peavey has had a 100 watt solid state head in production since the early 1980's, so its got to be 25+ old. As always, I could be wrong. If it is a Century head there is far better stuff available on the cheap.