Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 115 TKO ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbass611, Jan 9, 2001.

1. bigbass611

bigbass611

Jul 14, 2000
    Well, I finally got a bigger amp. Its a Peavey 115 TKO
    combo amp. 15" speaker, 80 watts, it has an graphic EQ, and
    I bought it new for $310. What do yall think?? Will this
    be suffice for a drummer with no drum mics and a guitarist
    who will probably get a small stack??
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I hate to disappoint you, but I think you will have trouble cutting through in a band setting.

3. bigbass611

bigbass611

Jul 14, 2000
    any other opinions?

4. You can probably match up to the other guys if the guitarist doesn't turn up too loud. I like the Peavey TKO and TNT stuff. For a true live gig, it may not be enough without a PA to back it up. If you have a PA to run the "signal out" to, then you'll always be fine.

You got yourself a good amp. A lot of people think you need like 400 Watts to do more than just practice by yourself. They are probably wrong. Try it, you'll probably be fine for practicing and jamming. It'll match up fine to unmic-ed drums, and the guitar only needs like 20 Watts or so to do the same since guitar is more mid range. That's my ideal band setting-50-100 Watts on the bass, 15-25 Watts on the guitar, and unmic-ed drums. That's a good natural sound where the guitarist can really turn his amp to full power and not kill everybody.

You may be surprised at how good you can sound.

Chris

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Ain't gonna happen... a guitar player with a half stack will never be able to turn down... we all know guitarists, don't we? :rolleyes: ;)

6. bigbass611

bigbass611

Jul 14, 2000
    thanks for the replies. throbbinut, you seem like a cool
    guy. we got together today and you really could hear and
    feel the bass. i think it wasnt too bad. what do yall think
    of the deal?? $310 new.
    thanks again

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hey I think you did all right.

We all know the guitarists. They can not turn the volume down and have to be deaf within the nex 10 minutes. So, for the TKO, you will probably have to crank it up but it also depends on where you practice i.e. the room size and the type of walls.

I bought a TNT 115 for 350$ Canadian Funds(about 200$ U.S. Funds !!!!!) and I like to use the Chorus on it all the time but just slightly to level 2-3 on each knob so it gives a crunchy and brighter sound to my Bass.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've owned a TKO 115 since 1998 and it has never given me any problem, unless you count a sore back as a problem. It's the only amp I've ever had so far ( soon I'm getting a Hartke 3500 and a 4x10 cab.)

I've played on numerous places with it and it's not as good as a head and cab setup, but for the $330 I paid, it was worth it. Lately I've ran the TKO trough the PA, Ah much better.

I think you'll love your new amp, Good Luck...

9. bigbass611

bigbass611

Jul 14, 2000
    afroman, what did you mean by running the tko through a pa?
    thanks

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    When I play in clubs, the "sound guy" runs my TKO from the 'preamp out' output of the Peavey to the mixing console amp. By doing this I use the 75 watts of my TKO, and connected with the mixer, my bass sounds through the PA system (the speakers of the club). By doing this I also use the TKO as a monitor.

I haven't talked to the sound guy to know exactly how he hooks me up, but I'm pretty sure that this is what he did. Anyway I now have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI and aside from being a pre-amp and making my TKO sound good, it serves as a DI (i think that means Direct Input), awith it the sound guy instead of running me from the TKO to the mixer, he runs me from the SansAmp to the mixer.

I hope I explained myself correctly, if you don't understand what I said, feel free to e-mail me.