Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 115BVX..how do they sound??? are they boomy at all?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, Aug 2, 2002.

1. after a small amount of research into building a cab for my 115 Scorpion speaker i emailed Aubrey Fulton from Peavey and this is what he said...
    Hello,
    I recommemd copying the 115BVX.
    It has a frequency response of 30 Hz to 3500 Hz.
    A low B note is 30.8 Hz.
    Dimensions:
    Width - 24.5"
    Height - 27.5"
    Depth - 17.5"
    Cubic feet - 5.28 ( or 150 liters ).
    Speaker is located top/front/center about 2 ½" away from top of front baffle.

Round Port located front/bottom/left corner. And about 2 ½" away from the side
    and bottom of the front baffle. Port size = 6" diameter and 5 3/8" deep/total.
    You can use PVC for the tube and make a dado where the tube goes into the front
    baffle and butts up against the hole inside ( like a step ).In this example the
    bottom line is the outside of the front baffle and the top line is the inside of
    the front baffle. The two "I"'s are the tube. -_--I_I--_- . Notice the tube
    doesn't go all the way out to the front edge of the front baffle.
    We typically use a SP 15425 ( 4 ohm ) but you could use a SP 15825 Scorpion
    speaker for 8 ohms.
    Thiele Small parameters:

SP-15425:
    Re-3.33
    Fs-51.7 Hz
    Qms-6.95
    Qas-.685
    Qts-.623
    Vas-142 ltr
    So-760cm2
    No-2.82%
    Xmax-N/A

i can't belive how helpful he was, but anyway i am wanting to know if the 115BVX sound a bit loose and boomy or if its tight and punchy??

fnordlyone likes this.
  2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm sure it will sound better than a scorpion.

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    With my apologies to Gard for not purchasing the Eden 2X10 that I wanted to get, but haven't.......... yet.

I got a screaming deal on a new 115BVX with the black widow and must say that I am extremely pleased with this cab. I don't find it to be boomy, but quite the opposite. It is very punchy and has a very well defined sound. The black widow speakers are impregnated with kevlar which, IMO, gives it a tighter sound than a speaker like the scorpion. Granted it's not nearly as punchy as a 2X10 but I like the warmth that a 15 that can provide.

Do yourself a favor though and play through one before you actually make a purchase or build something like it. I enjoy the sound but it may not be for everyone.

Sound is very subjective.

4. I think it's great that Peavey went to the trouble of giving you the specs on that cab and even some tips on port material.Since this cab came with scorpions or black widows it should be perfect for your speaker.I had one with a Black widow and it sounded tight and didn't fart out on a b-string.If your good with wood working it would be worth it.

5. i am going to go for it as i allready have a speaker just lying around and i have someone who is really good with wood working that can build it for free, i might not even have to pay for the wood, and if i do need to buy wood then i will get it almost half price as i work in a hardware store on weekends.

one question though is if i make the cab to have the same internal volume but make it so it is the same width and depth as my 410 will it still sound the same or still sound good, and i made the cab deeper would i still keep the port the same size/length?
    thanks