Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 115BVX subwoofer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Ok, I've found what appears to be the PERFECT subwoofer cab for my filtered dub bass lines.
    http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/bassamps/115bvx_4ohm.cfm
    4ohms, 15",400-800w's and good to 30Hz. Is this cab just too good to be true or what? I need a 4ohm to get the most out of my PLX 3002. Any opinions, besides the usual "Peavey sux" kinda stuff? This thing looks legit?

[​IMG]

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have a pair (same cab, with rat fur). Good sized cabinet(big) for the driver. About 75 lbs, not too bad for this old fart to tote. One will fit in the trunk of my VW Scirocco(!) I like the sound in combo with my 410s. I play 4 string, so I can't comment on how it handles a low b string. Will handle a good amount of power without distress-mine sees half of a PLX 1602 bridged to 4 ohms, or 800 watts. If you ever do blow a driver, they are field repairable in about 15 minutes. Probably close in price to the new Avatars, when you get done haggling. The 115BX BW (previous model-identical save for the vinyl vs rat fur) sell all day long for $150. They are NOT plywood, as are the Avatars, if that is a concern. I have absolutely no concern about their durability, regardless.

Kim

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    All Peavey cabs are rated to 30Hz... I think it's a "usable range" deal, doesn't necessarily mean you can get a loud 30Hz out of it.

4. Hmmm...yeah, I know that specs can be a whole lotta smoke and mirrors. You guys check out the link? I can only assume that it is around -6dB at 30Hz or something...would they bother saying that if it was way down at -10db you think? A 15" in a proper size cab could certainly do that well. I have the juice to push the low subs if need be. I don't play THAT low often but want to know the cab won't be farting out on me if I push it occasionally. This one is apparently tuned to go quite a bit lower than their others, some new driver or something.

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The Peavey Cabinet is larger than many 1x15 cabs on the market. It has a huge rectangle port on the bottom as well. If you go to a showroom with Peavey Bass Cabs take a look inside the Cabinet and you will see some sort of padding in the back of the cabinet (you can see it through the port at the bottom). They have been doing this for a few years on the 4x10s and 8x10s also.
    I think Peavey has the 1x15 Cabinet designed to get lower frequencies. Tuning of a cabinet is dependent on the volume and the port size. A larger cab tends to have a lower tuning frequency with all other factors being equal. The padding in the cabinet could be there to "slow" the sound waves so that the Cab acts "larger" than it physically is. This is a trick that has been used for years in Audio Subwoofers.
    Peavey usually posts specs on most Speakers on its site. Peavey Speakers I have bought in the past come with graphs (in the manual) that show the Speaker frequency response.
    For example:
    I purchased a pair of Peavey 118 HC Subs new for $650 around 9 years ago.
    Here is the link to manual for the Cabs :
    http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/118subhc.cfm
    Note the frequency chart on the 2nd page of the PDF. The frequency chart should show any "humps" in sound frequency that the Cab will produce.
    Peavey also lists the Low frequency limit (-3dB) and the Useable Low frequency limit (-10dB) in manuals.

Anothe thing to look for when comparing Speaker cabs is the Sensitivity of the Cab. The bigger the number the more volume you should get at the same power level.
    The Accugroove El Whappo has a sensitivity of 102dB (very good for a Bass Cab).
    The Acme Low B4 has a sensitivity of 96dB.
    The Acme would take much more power to get the same volume as the El Whappo.

You should check with a Peavey retailer for the Specs on the cab. I like the deep lows I get from my Peavey 18s. They are PA cabs but they work good for Bass when used with another cab for highs.

6. I am always surprised by how many 18" specs I read show theri useable range only extyending downto about 50Hz or so. A properly sized and tuned cabinet....seems like the PV 15" good really do well at 30Hz?

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    There is really a tradeoff between size, sensitivity and frequency response in any cabinet. Many cabinets (including ones with 18s) that are tuned lower are not as sensitive as ones that are tuned higher. A sub that produces frequencies down below say 40hz will either be large or not as sensitive.
    My cabs have a useable Low frequency of 35hz (at -10db), have a sensitivity of 100dB and are under 100lbs.
    Not bad for a sub that you can find used for around $200.
    I would suspect newer models Peavey cabs are better than the older model cabs I have.
    For comparison sake, an Ampeg 8x10 cab also has a sensitivity of 100dB.
    Newer model Ampeg 8x10s have a frequency response down to 58hz (-3db) with a useable Low frequecny (-10db) at 40hz and a weight of 165lbs.

8. My QSC PLX 3002 will put 900w's into this 4 ohm cab. I am sure that it would do well at the more extreme end of things. I don't need to be loud, just to be able to push 30Hz cleanly if need be.

9. The tipoff is the SPL rating. If SPL = high, it don't go low. If SPL = low, then low it go.

Sounds like Johnny Cochran

:D

My 15" subs are SPL 89, and I have the left channel of my PLX 3002 at red line driving the pair at 4 ohms total load. I figure the pair are getting 900 watts. Each is rated at 1,000 so I'm not overdriving them... they are just hungry pigs. This is price I pay for 23 Hz.

I was going to replace the subs with something less power hungry, then SOMEBODY showed me the DBX 120a... right back to 26 Hz again... subs are sticking around.

I gather the Peavey spec is -10dB from everything I get from their tech literature. I truly doubt the Accugroove that claims 102 SPL is going to put out much in the bottom register. I've asked Mark Wright about publishing his response curves and testing method, but that hasn't happened yet.

JBL and EV are the manufacturers that readily come to mind for accurate measurement and publication of their response plots and testing methods. No BS here... The Eminence response plots are also very informative.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    not to argue digits but my peavey 4x10 has been known to knock the breath out of you when i slap a low b.:bassist:

11. hmmm..and no SPL rating posted for the PV 115BVX I see. Dang. Good tip of course. BGavin, you think PV specs are smoke+mirrors or what? Would -10dB @30Hz really do me for deep dub lows or would it fart like most cabs around there? Gut feeling...? I certainly have the juice to drive it at that level with my PLX 3002.

12. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    this might be a bit off topic.... but i honestly believe i have found the end all bass cabinet for any of those who are looking for it.

genz benz 610T XB2. 105 dB 1W/1m, flat to 35 Hz, -6 dB @ 30 Hz -10 @25 Hz. not really suitable for psychos like you, bgavin, and your crazy 23 Hz (id LOVE to hear, i mean feel that) but for a 5 string playing a low B its wonderful. cheaper than an eden 410, just as efficient. big and heavy though.

MadSub-i was on the same quest as you, and i personally couldnt believe that 10's could do such sonic justice to the low end, but believe it.

oh and anyone who wants to stop by Ann Arbor, Michigan is welcoem to give it a whirl.

13. I mostly gave up being a 23 Hz psycho until Mad Subwoofer turned me on to the DBX 120a sub-synthesizer.

Some time ago I went back to playing all 4-bangers with stock tuning, so anything below 41 Hz wasn't being used. Then I got the DBX box, and am right back to 26 Hz and subs again.

As for smoke and mirrors, I consider it "marketing." I didn't write the laws of physics, but I do understand how they work in speakers: there is no such thing as a Loud driver, very Low response, and a Small cabinet, all in the same package. You can have any two, but not all three at the same time.

Many manufacturers accept -10dB as the bottom of the "usable" range. This is perceived as half-as-loud. I suspect the Peavey is spec'ed this way. Email them and ask... all they can do is say no, or refuse to answer.

My JBL E155 stage monitor is -10dB at 45 Hz, but I know this going into the project, and don't have expectations for it to perform otherwise. The E155 project is optimized for Loud and Small. The Low component has been traded away by design.

14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    My current set up is an Ampeg SVT-4PRO through the 115BVX. I'm running it mono at 8ohms.

The sound is very tight and clear for a 15 and despite not having a horn/tweeter the highs are very sweet souding, not too brittle or harsh. I've played a 5'er through it a couple of times and was very impressed with the way it handled the low B.

It does weigh a ton though, @90lbs, but like most other Peavey stuff it's built to last.

15. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    madsub, you're not happy with your eb 212 cabs anymore i take it?

16. Very happy....just want to go l o w e r .

17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Madsub, just try one of the PV cabs and see if it does what you need it to.
    I'll second Farley's comments about the high end...it is a very articulate 15.