Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 115F for my Son..Worth It?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDad64, Jun 14, 2005.

1. BassDad64

BassDad64

Jun 14, 2005
    Jersey Shore
    Bass peoples,

I'm the father of a 15 year old bass player who desires a good starting combo amp for hsi upcoming birthday.

He likes alot of funk,ska and punk...what do you suggest?

a friend of a friend's is selling a Peavey TNT 115F combo and I don't know if it's worth the $350 he's asking for it.

I would greatly appreciate some expert advice.

many Advanced thanks,

Scott

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Scott,

That's probably about the going "street" price, if it's in excellent condition. Maybe a little high. Not a bad deal, not great, although you might have to decide if you'd rather go new, with warranty (about $470).

Good amp from a good manufacturer, no doubt.

But you need to consider what your son will be using it for. If it's for learning, practice, etc., it'll be fine. But if he plans to start jamming with other musicians in the near future, he might find he needs more power/more speakers.

To most non-bassists, 150W and a 15" speaker sounds like a killer rig. I can tell you that, if he's joining a loud band anytime soon, he will probably be disappointed, and looking for something bigger.

4. You could always get him an avatar 212 and ashdown mag head (the ever popular and rightly so combination) then go halves on the cost with him or something? That would probaly carry him more than a few years. I know I would have saved a heck of a lot of buying and selling if I started out with something gigworthy and reliable. www.avatarspeakers.com

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes that's a good starter combo, it will be fine for practice and may even do for places bigger than the garage if the rest of the band isn't blasting. Price is a bit high. Buying a new Peavey for the warranty isn't really necessary because Peaveys never break.

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    :meh:

Ummm...

It's good stuff, no doubt....

But I wouldn't have used the word *never*....

7. my first amp was a peavey basic 112. peavey makes some good stuff.

8. BassDad64

BassDad64

Jun 14, 2005
    Jersey Shore
    Thanks to all for kindly responding...i think I'm going to still check around and pass on this 115.

Cheers,

Scott