1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey 1400x DPC Help! question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bergerdude, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Bergerdude

Bergerdude

Jun 7, 2005
    Hi,
    I recently got a used 1400x off of Ebay. I plugged the thing in without running anything...so it's just idling.
    The fan is noisy, but hardly doing anything (it's a whine).

The unit gets hot to the touch after about 20 minutes, especially near the first third on the top of the unit.
    I never heard the fan kick up a notch, nor did the amp ever shutdown. I owned a DPC 750 previously and you could see the fan turning, the 1400x is a different design.

So any 1400x owners out there....could you experiment and see if yours heats up as well?

I could have a "bum" unit, however the factory has record of the unit being sent in and tested out....so I wuold think they would have caught a fan problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    my DPC1400x doesnt get too hot, and the fan is "variable", so it speeds up and slows down depending if its needed. i'd send it back in to be safe. you got enough to worry about on gig.

3. Bergerdude

Bergerdude

Jun 7, 2005
    Thankfully my amp is always a backup on the gig...IEM's and a great PA.
    I can see (with a flashlight) the fans spinning...well, plus the noise.....maybe I need to load them up for the fan to increase?

The DPC 750 which I have has the volume controls on the back....a very odd design, but I shopped around and got a preamp that has seperate controls for PA and stage rig, an Ashly BP41...I wanted to go up to the 1400x just incase I ever go for that boutique preamp.

Thanks for the response....I'll have to see how it goes.

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    If I remember correctly,the fan only works when there is a signal going through it. IOW,if you just turn it on,the fan won't work.As soon as you start playing it will kick in,and stop when you quit playing.At least that's what mine did.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Get it fixed. Mine does what the manual says it does. Yours does not.

6. Bergerdude

Bergerdude

Jun 7, 2005
    I'm not sure if that response was to me, or the post above the response. This is what the manual says:
    If
    cool, the amplifier will start up in low speed fan operation and will normally stay at low speed
    operation unless sustained high power operating levels occur. Then, as the amplifier heat sinks heat
    up, the automatic thermal sensing circuitry will increase the fan speed. Depending upon signal
    conditions and amp loading, the fan speed may increase to a maximum value, or it may decrease to
    a minimum value. This situation is quite normal.

Perhaps what I consider "hot to the touch" and the max temp for the sensing circuitry is different. However, it says the fan should be on low when the unit comes on (mine does).
    I'll load up the amp and see if the fan kicks in high gear.
    I'll try it at a gig, and worst case scenario is the thermal protection will shut it down.
    Thanks again,
    Dan

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, mine's got hundreds of gigs on it. And like any amp, heat gets made. But to tell if there is excessive heat compared to other units of the same type, one would have to actually measure the temperatures and the duty. If you have concern that your is not functioning correctly, you could just give it the type of torture test I usually do with a new piece of gear (balls to the wall operation with a low-ohm-rating load) or you could send it in if things don't seem to be doing what they should.

8. Bergerdude

Bergerdude

Jun 7, 2005
    Okay, I just didn't understand what you were saying. I will try it on a gig tonight.
    I am gun-shy since I tried a DPC 1000 at a pawn shop that got fry-an-egg hot within minutes with no fan...and with those you could see the fan thru the top grill (totally different design).....I tapped on the grill...and sputter, sputter...the fan started up!
    The 1400x fan starts immediately, I just haven't hooked it up to my rig yet....so I need to do some more tests.
    Peavey service has been great, BTW.