1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 1516 to 1520?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony-bobs, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    i was given an old peavey 1516 from my uncle who hadn't played it in a long time. free is always good with me, so i took it. all 3 of the speakers are blown now, not my doing, they were old and have been sitting in a garage unused for who knows how long. when i looked, the speakers were all mismatched, two no-name 8's an a carvin 15. i was thinking about grabbing a 15 from WGS and building a new baffle to house 2 10's instead of the 8's. figured i would set it up so that it's basically 2 different cabs bolted together by boxing off the 10's from the 15. is this even a good idea :rollno:or should i just grab some eminence beta 8's and the 15 and call it good? idk, its the first cab i've worked on and would love any help i can get from all of the seasoned vets here! thanks in advance...:help:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not a cab builder, but from what I've learned here, matching spkrs to the box is essential. Iow, you can't change the spkr size and expect good results. Just replace the spkrs with the ones the cab was built for, and all will be well.

3. +1
    its all about cab volume and tuning, adding larger speakers will most likely make it sound terrible. also do some research on replacement speakers, im not familiar with betas, but im sure there are better choices, not necessarily much more expensive either.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If you want to restore it to its former glory, get the correct speakers from Peavey. They can tell you the exact models they used.

5. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I've got a 1516 and contacted Peavey about the speakers awhile ago. The 15" is a Black Widow and the 8" are generics that they had made for them. They gave me the part # but said they aren't available anymore.

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    measure teh internal volume for the woofer, find a suitable woofer based on that, and then pick the mids based upon the recommended crossover frequency. My guess is that 8's will be plenty and that 10's arent needed (the woof will handle the woof). Maybe even 1 eight.

post pics!

7. the 15" is a 1502-4 black widow, I have the same problem with the blown 8"s that I didnt know about till I got it home. still looking for the 8"s to go in.

8. If that was my cab I would install 1 x 15 and only 1 x 8. Use a crossover and you're good to go.

9. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I would do the 1x15 and the 2x8. Thats how Peavey made it, thats how Peavey wanted it.

10. well i don't see why it would be a problem as long as the speakers he gets match the volumes he has available in each part of the cab (since he's planning on splitting it up). obviously it will sound different, but if he wants to use 10's and there are some available that are compatible with the internal volumes everything should work out and sound great... because, after all, it's not like a 115/210 combo is that unheard of.

11. An idea would be to use the eminence sealed back 8" drivers. As they are sealed back they dont need a seperate encloser and are great little drivers for not a lot of money. I have one horn loaded in my BF Omni15. Used with a suitable crossover it should be fine.

Keep in mind that the cost of a replacement quality 15" and pair of 8" driver and crossover is probably more than you could buy another used cab for......

12. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    is there a program or anything i can use that would let me know if this is even a possibility for the cab or am i just gonna run into this blindly?

13. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    winISD i believe.

Don't quote me on the capitalization.

14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Well, I really liked that cabinet when we sold them new, the only Peavey cabinet I ever liked. The 8's balanced very well with the 15BW and the internal crossover was at a good spot for them. So, i'm prejudiced, but I'd get the right BW in there, find some decent 8" speakers and start there.

jte

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I used to have one of those Peavey 1516 cabs...my first amp actually. It was great, and sold it about 10yrs later still in perfect condition.

Anyway, years ago I bought two Carvin 8" for another project which I still have, and also still have a 400w EV 15L still in a box. I bet they would all sound great stuffed into a PV 1516 cab.

If you want to restore it, look into the Carvin replacement speakers, they work good.

16. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    any one know where i might be able to get the carvin 8"? and i'm gonna go ahead an guess that the wgs speaker isn't gonna be a goo replacement for the peavey BW? not that i really have anything for the wgs, i was just looking to keep costs down. if anyone by chance has some of these laying around, let me know an i might be able to take them off your hands...

17. I'm not the biggest expert on gear but i did own one of these cabinets up until about a month ago. i liked the sound at low volumes, but i always felt that the stock 15" speaker was a little too weak for my liking (the entire cab was only meant to run at 200 watts continuos). that just seemed too weak for a black widow, in my opinion.

BUT as these people have already reccommended, you need to find a speaker that matches up well with the cab's frequency/tuning.

I now have a peavey 1820 which i loved until i blew both the 10s. i replaced them with emminence delta-bs that only sound decent when equalized like no ones business. at a standard eq, they make the cab resonate terribly. i wish i had researched before i just threw them in.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I used to have a 1516, the main problem with it was that after you factor in the space taken up by the sealed box for the 2-8's there isn't quite enough space left to be really suitable for most 15's. I think the best "technical" improvement would be to take out the sealed box, patch up the baffle and install a single eminence LA6CBMR or Alpha8MR (closed back mid drivers), then you'd have enough internal volume for most any 15, pick one to suit your tastes. A re-working of the port tuning would be required. If that's too much work, just put a BW15 back in there and get a couple 8's that have around a 94db SPL rating. Crossover should be around 500hz.

www.carvin.com Carvin's 8's should work at least as well as whatever was in there. Their PS15 would probably work ok too, they come in 4ohm versions. The above explained surgery would change it to an 8ohm box. The carvin solution would keep it at 4ohms. Last I checked about a week ago carvin has some good discounts on speakers. Check the sales/specials section or whatever they call it. Replacements baskets for your current BW should run around $80-$90.

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    A big ole +1 IME

ah, hindsight!

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I found the same thing with mine. The sealed box for the 8's takes up way too much space, the box is small to get deeper sounding bass. Also the 1502BW marketed as a bass speaker because of a rigid, strong cone has far less xmax than the 1505BW found more in PA speakers although my old RBS-1 had a pair of them in it. Hence I'd suggest if you're just looking at it as a workable 15 box with mids, I'd remove the sealed box and go to a single, higher SPL mid speaker. The eminence closed back are the easiest solution and sound good. There are better mids out there that will operate fine in a 1/3 cu.ft. sealed box that would take much less space away from the 15 than the current 2x8 box.