Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 1810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MorganH, Jul 8, 2005.

1. MorganH

MorganH

Jul 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    I have a Peavey 1810 cab with 2 10s and one 18 in it. I am currently powering it with a Hartke 350w amp, I think its the Hartke 7000. When I turn it up loud it gets very trebly and I have to go heavy on the frequency filter, it also tends to sound a bit thin and papery and distort a bit. When I first got the cab I had to replace the basket on the 18, so I think the speakers are OK.

I was wondering if anyone has used this cab with the Peavey MegaBass with bi-amping and if that sounds good, or if it would fix the problem. If you have any other suggestions that would be cool too.

-Morgan

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own the 1820, which is quite similar, and in my experience, this cab is anything but trebly and thin. If all is working properly with bass, head, and cab, this thing should still have a huge low end as you crank it up (even without bi-amping).

Tom.

3. MorganH

MorganH

Jul 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Maybe the Hartke is having problems. Like I said, I replaced the basket on the 18, maybe it isn't funtioning properly either.

4. I have one of those cabs rotting in my basement as we speak, I gigged that thing for 12 years solid, no problem, save for one 18 basket replacement.

Did you install the new basket correctly? You didn't force the voice coil or anything, right? Are you sure you got the correct impedance replacement? Sorry to hear about your problems, that cab really sounds good. I'd still use it today if I didn't get such a good deal on its successors a few years back.

5. I love my 1810 and it is nothing but bassy, it could use a good 2x10 on top to even it out a bit but I love it. Check the connection and make sure your not in a Biamp input. my guitarist did this to me once on accident and I was freakin out about my amp and cab and went through all different eq settings just to look back and feel like a dumbass :meh:

6. MorganH

MorganH

Jul 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for all of the info guys, I'll take apart the speaker and see if the coil is damaged, that is the copper coil that fits into the magnet right?

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    No Way! Is there anything you don't have?
    Man, I used *2* of those monsters when I was still taking on road jobs, and they were devastating. Definately does not sound normal for this cab....