1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey 1820 with older 400RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Jan 7, 2012.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    I have a mid eigthies GK RB400 head which I am running through a Accoustic Neo 115 cab. I don't really care for the sound that the Accoustic cab puts out. A local guitar store has a Peavy 1820 cab in great shape with a 18 inch black widow speaker. I had an 1820 back in the day with a Peavey Mar IV head and I loved the low end response from that combo, could be just nostalgia too. They also have a Peavey 212 bass cab which is 4 ohm.
    My question is would th GK head be able to power the 1820 properly? Does anyone with this kind of set up think this would sound ok? I know I can get a bagend or some other expensive cab that will sound better than the peavy but funds are tight and I'm just looking for a better more full sound than the 115 is giving me.

2. the GK400RB is rated at 200 watts into 4 ohms which is about what the Mark IV is so should work fine.

3. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I have a GK 400 RB III, and even though a less bassy 2 x 10, I still have to turn the bass down a bit, so I expect... If it's mega-bass yer wanting, that amp through a Black Widow 15 will be more than enough! :bassist:

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The crossovers were the weak link in those cabs. As long as the crossover is good, it'd be ok to use your amp with it. Big, heavy things they are though. Friend of mine had one. We ended up gutting it for it's parts and he used the cab as a dresser for his clothes. I'd try the 212 you mentioned as well, assuming it's a bass cab. Should also give a pretty good wump with your amp.

5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I used a 400rb with a Peavey 1516 cab - great tone, but I loved the sound of the 1820 with it too!

6. I'd also vote the 212 cab. Seen to many 1820's dip below 3 ohms and overload 4 ohm min. amps!

7. MEgabass does rock... with 90s or 2010s standards...

When you speak with the staff -- they comment this was the least understood head they shipped.

8. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    They actually have the Megabass head sitting with the cab....I played through it and man I just love that low end grumble.

9. Make a deal on both... a mega is one of the most underrated heads they've produced... when wired correctly you can do some fantastic stuff... it will easily compete with upper end stuff available now.

10. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Long time GK 400RB guy here... they LOVE 4X10 cabs at 4 ohms. Especially the '80's models.