Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOLD Peavey 1820

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by tombowlus, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Peavey 1820 (two 10's and an 18). I gigged with this for years, but I had some issues with blowing the 18" Black Widow. After replacing the cone/voice coil several times, I went looking for an 18" that I could not blow and found a Madison Executioner (rated at 1,000w RMS!!!). I did not know what to expect, but dear lord does this driver kick booty in the 1820! It has seismic lows (the deepest of ANY cab I own!), and it feels like it is actually compressing the air in our practice room! Tone is really good, too. So, with good results here, I decided to try replacing the 10's as well, and based upon the box volume and the frequency response of the 18, I picked up two very nice Selenium 10's (forget the model). Again, a notable improvement, with better articulation and detail (and of course, higher power handling - though I never did blow the 10" Scorpions). I'd sell this cab, local pickup, for $225 with the Madison/Selenium drivers, or $175 if I pull the Seleniums and put the Scorps back in. I have two grills for this cab. The standard one, and one made from metal (in black) to match the Peavey 210TX that I used with this cab for years.

It's somewhat beat up cosmetically, but in sound condition. I have some really nice casters that were on it for years (but which I removed to make an amp cart). I could be persuaded to put these back on for a nominal fee (or throw some cheaper casters on for even less!).

Tom.

2. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Bump

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    That cab is a BEAST! If I had the room, I'd snatch it in a NY minute!

~S~

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's the second cab I owned (not this actual one). I got it back in about 1980 with a Mark IV head. I recall it was a pretty bullum cab. I know where it is. I sold it to the son of one of our drillers.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Heh, I love the old fridges, my brother had one of that series of cab, pity the shipping to me would cost several times the cab itself. Bump for a great cab anyway.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Bump for a kewl cab. I used *2* back in the day (ouch, my back!). After several years of basement retirement, I traded them both for one SWR Henry 8x8...

Shipping via fedex ground would not be too painful if this cab suits you. Alos, www.forwardair.com charges $25 per 150lbs if you're close to an airport on both ends...

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    if only i didnt have size restricitions and an aversion for stairs and the 1820! i had one breifly in college and it really did rock. yours, as upgraded, sounds like a bearst.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    bump for a killer driver. I call mine "the howitzer".

you know, I just remembered my gf can't stand being in the same room with it for that very reason. she has problems with vertigo, and as soon as I hit a note she completely loses it. she says it's like the whole room becomes pressurized like an airplane cabin.

P.S. the fs on that 1000 watt beast is 26Hz. the specs on the Madison website are wrong. when they redesigned the site, they cut and pasted the specs of the DVC version and listed them under the Executioner X 18 column. to my knowledge, it was never corrected.

PUNISHING!!! :bassist:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the information! If I hadn't sold my Accugroove Gordo, I was considering putting that driver in the Gordo, just for kicks (and for something more portable). What do you have yours in?

Tom.

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Mine is in one of the older Madison MAB183 cabs. I swapped out the stock Executioner (500 watt model) for the Executioner X version. It probably sounds better in your 1820 with more internal volume.

Since you liked that spec, I dug up Madison's 2003 spec sheet I saved before they introduced the DVC and changed the website. Can't really copy and paste from it, but here's some of the other "feature" specs -

Fs = 26Hz
    Qts = .347
    BL = 29.622
    spl = 98db
    usable freq resp = 25-3K
    coil = 4" alum
    magnet = 200 oz.
    watts rms = 1000

low Qts makes it very articulate for an 18, super high BL makes it punchy (more like PUMMELING), and it plays up to 3K!!! - which is higher than a lot of the 10's you find in the new low-playing 10 cabs like the Eden XST.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...How much for that Madison driver? I wonder how it stacks against a Beyma GS550?

@Mitch, I thought you played black metal/metal? What the heck are you doing with an 18" cab? That's "DOOM" territory my man!...

~S~

12. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    yo S, it's death/black... we don't tune to D like all the gnuskewl BM kiddies!! when I first joined the band in 99, our guitarist (at that time) had just got off the road with Mortician and we tuned to A flat. now we're in B flat.

why don't you take the cab??!!

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...because I have THIS!...

~S~

What do you have?...

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks again for all the information, Mitch. Maybe I'll have Don up at Low Down Sound build me a cab to throw this in. Truly, this cab has the deepest lows of any cab I have heard, and it does not get floppy at all. I'd love to hear it up against a Whappo Grande!

I would definitely still gig with this cab if I didn't have to store my band equipment in the basement. With casters and a van, it was a pretty easy load, but one guy and a flight of steps is a killer, even for a brute such as myself. Devilman wouldn't have a problem, though... :D

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...grrrrrr...me throw 1820 for fun into van upstairs!...grrrrrr...

~S~

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Is that your Bag End 1x18? It looks kind of like a Mesa Boogie Diesel cab.

Tom.

17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Mesa CAB, Bag End SPEAKER!...

~S~

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nice!

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    After playing around with this cab a bit more, I think that it might sound the best with the Madison 18, but with the stock Peavey Scorpion 10's. The Seleniums have more high end bite, and the Scorps have more midrange beef, so it's a matter of preference, but I think it is the most well balanced with the Scorpions and that Madison. So, with that in mind, I'd go $200 with this speaker configuration. Also, just to be clear, the tolex is rather beat up, but the cab is in great working condition.

I'll try and shoot some pics.

Tom.

20. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    What ohm is this cab?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.