1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, May 4, 2010.

1. I've been in a hard search for a replacement amp since I sold my old silvertone cabinet. Found out my girlfriend's new step dad's son,also plays the bass and he just got a new rig and his old amp has been just sitting in his shed. So I went out to look at it and all I could tell was it was a 1x15 combo that was pretty large. Almost if not the size of a 4x10 cabinet. It was on casters,there was no name on the front of the control plate,just 115. It could be this cabinet,or something really similar. This is the only thing I've found that resembles it.

http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/gear/839544/p1_ugmlya333_so.jpg

anyone know what it could be? Wattage? etc? I'm going to go check it out and see if it works tomorrow and hopefully then I can get a better look at it,maybe some pictures.

2. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    i had an older model tnt115, it was 160w into a sheffield 15" driver . great amp, heavey as hell. this on looks newr so not sure on wattage. they wer weird any way the 115 i had was 160w a friend had a tnt130 and it was only 100w so don,t know what youll have but they are great amps.

3. Yea I'm gonna take a good look at it tomorrow. Has some road scars but still looks pretty solid and powered on with no problem. And as I've stated before weights not a huge issue after lugging that silvertone amp I had around for so long.

4. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Sounds like the combo that Peavey creatively named the "Combo 115".

IIRC, around 200 watts with it's internal 4 ohm speaker, and around 300 watts at 2 ohms using a 4 ohm extension cab.

Here's a link to the manual: Peavey Combo 115

Let us know if you get it! :bassist:

5. Yep! Just got back from looking at it 210W at 4 ohms and 300W at 2 ohms. It's pretty dirty right now. I'm pretty sure the speaker is blown. I plugged it up and messed with all the knobs and only got a heavily distorted sound except when i turned the gain almost all the way down to where you could barely hear it being amplified but anywhere past that it's distorted.

6. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    i had one of those about 5 years ago. it made a great replacement for my peavy data bass. its a good little amp for small to medium gigs. it's a bit heavy though. i think it's around 60lbs. sold it when i got the 28lb markbass. it's definitely got a decent tone and some power to it. i really wanted to get one of these but they're way to big and heavy. but i tried one out at GC and it was sweet. too big and heavy though.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Tour-TKO-115-400W-1x15-Bass-Combo-Amp-105344311-i1445926.gc

7. Oh I know those new TKO's and TNTs look bad.

I'm looking at speakers on line and I found an eminence ALPHA-15 15 inch driver for 60 bucks. 200watts RMS 400 Watts program 8 ohms. Would this speaker work?

Theres also an eminence LEGEND CA15-4 thats 300watts RMS 600 watts program at 4 ohms.

8. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Before you buy a replacement speaker, you should:
    1. confirm that the speaker (not the amp) is the problem, and
    2. consider a replacement basket. Black Widow baskets are field-replaceable. You unscrew the magnet from the old basket, clean out the voice coil gap with some adhesive tape, then bolt to your new basket.

9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    +1

Exactly. If it came with the original Black Widow I would just replace the basket.

If you have access to a separate cabinet, try unplugging the internal speaker and play the amp only through the extension cab and see how it sounds. That will let you know pretty quickly if it's the driver or not.

If you do decide to go with a different driver, keep in mind that the original 15" Black Widow in your model is probably 4 ohms, not 8 ohms.

Good luck. :bassist:

10. Heres some pics of the damage..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If i get the amp i'll test out the speakers...after i clean it...the things got a mud dobber nest sitting behind the grille and i can see spider webs and crap in the ports. 1 of the EQ sliders is missing and a knob is missing. It needs a seriously cleaning and TLC.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

the speaker can probably be repaired..

12. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    There are several different models of 15" BW. If yours is bad, check the model, then see the Peavey website for replacement baskets. Prices vary by model and dealer. Search.

Price and watts should not be your only guide in selecting a replacement, if replacement is needed. Without getting into cab measurement, T/S parameters and such, the Eminence would be a crapshoot; it might not perform as well as the original. The BWs are decent speakers; not usually high-excursion, but sensitive.

Before you decide you need a new speaker, I'd also check something else... Some of these speakers had a black foam filter that went in the magnet vent, behind a coarse wire screen. The foam filter was designed to keep dust out, but they are known to disintegrate. I've seen this first-hand on a 15" BW. When I removed the magnet, I found the voice coil gap was full of filter particles, which were probably in contact with the voice coil; not good. I cleaned it out, put it back together, and the speaker was fine.

Sounds like the amp needs a thorough cleanup. If it were mine, that would include a speaker disassembly and inspection.

13. I'll probably go check out the cabinet against and disassemble every thing and see if cleaning it helps out,or if the speaker is in fact broken before i go buy a speaker.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a picture would help to id it

15. I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow.

Dont know how accurate the info on Harmony Central is but someone said this amp has a cast frame eminence speaker in it?

16. bump

17. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    No. Maybe the one they had did but it was not original. I can see just by looking that yours is a BW. Do not get an eminence just fix up your BW. The amp was specifically designed for that exact speaker model (the size and volume of the speaker area specifically.) But make sure of what is actually wrong before going crazy. Pull the speaker maybe a wire is loose or something.

18. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    I believe that's incorrect. Eminence has been a big supplier to Peavey, but to my knowledge, only for stamped frame speakers. That's probably because Peavey manufactures their own cast-frame speakers - the Scorpion and Black Widow lines. I'm pretty sure yours is a BW because I've never seen a Combo300/115 that didn't have one, and one of your photos shows what appears to be a BW frame.

19. OK. Took out the speaker. It is in fact a black widow. Forgot to get the model number though. I wrote it down jsut forgot to grab the slip of paper. I took off the magnet and found some black dirt/gunky stuff on the inside of the magnet and some on the outside and cleaned it out real well. I don't know if this is the stuff you were talking about 1n3. The speaker it self looks like theres no phsyical damage looks completely fine. I will be going by there again tomorrow and seeing if cleaning that junk out helped.

Here's some pics of the magnet.

I found the black dust/caked junk just on the inside of that inner ring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]