Peavey 210TX Bass cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MichelD, Jun 9, 2021.

1. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    What do you folks think of the Peavey 210TX Bass cabinet?

I'm looking for a small cab to use with my Ampeg V4B at small gigs and one has come up on CL locally for $150.00.

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Cab is from the 90's and was quite common. I wouldn't go more than about $100 if it's in great shape.

jjk2007 likes this.
  3. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    I'm in Canada. That $150 Canadian Pesos is equivalent to $124 U.S.

I've been looking for a good solid 2x10 for ages and haven't spotted one on CL or FB marketplace so this sounds good to me. Vendor is setting up an amp for me to try it out first.

4. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Only caveat I have is the power handling. The 210TX extension was specifically designed to complement the Peavey Combo 115TX and 210TX combo amps. Both amps go from 200W to 300W when you add the extension, meaning the extension cab didn't need to handle a lot of power (at least not by today's standards for a 2x10). IIRC, the stock drivers are only rated for 175W, so used as the only cab under a standalone head, practically any modern Class D bass head will rip the cones right out of the frame if you don't watch that master volume control.

5. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    It's for use with my 100 watt Ampeg V4B though I am looking for a Class D amp too.

Are you saying I probably shouldn't get one over 200 watts?

6. Brinkmeister

Brinkmeister

May 26, 2021
    Netherlands
    Bought a 210 TXF off an old colleague today for home use. 4 ohm, 350 watts, should be sufficient for practice purposes. And for €100,- it doesn't break the bank.

Like the sound, like that it's got a tweeter. It replaces my 150 watt Hartke Transporter 15 inch. Nothing wrong with the Hartke, but it took up a lot of space in front of a window.

PSX_20210609_135147.jpg

7. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    Looks good. Thank you.

Brinkmeister likes this.
  8. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    To be sure, I took a second look at the specs on Peavey's site, and the 175W rating is for "continuous" load, which is basically playing highly-compressed mastered music through the cab. The "Program" rating, useful when talking about live instrument amplification, is 350W. They don't provide an instantaneous "peak" rating but I'd bet it's at least 700W to provide 3dB headroom over "Program".

So, I was mistaken; even by today's standards that's a pretty tough cab (classic Peavey). It's 4 ohms impedance, so you'll need to keep that in mind when head-shopping as that's a common minimum amp load nowadays. Peavey, back in the day, commonly designed for a true 2-ohm minimum load, and the TX Combo series is an example. These days, you're less likely to see minimum loads that low, and when you do the amp is commonly using a dummy load (so no additional power at 2 ohms vs 4).

Even then, I wouldn't doubt this thing could probably handle the output of a 500W head as long as you're not diming all the controls. I'd aim for 350W peak head output, just because I like matching peak to program (makes the "clip" light on the amp useful as a warning that you're in danger of causing damage instead of already causing damage), and that's a decent subset of the bass amp market. A Tone Hammer 350 would likely be a pretty good match both in power and tone.

spatters likes this.
  9. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    Well I bought it.

Sounded great at the vendor's place and I think it sounds good in my basement too, with my Ampeg tube amp, though it makes everything in the room that isn't tied down rattle.

Looking at it while playing though, I can see the cone in one speaker moving but not in the other speaker. Like I said; it sounded great at the vendor's house and at home too, but I'm not sure if both speakers are working.

When I put my head right next to the cabinet, this big round sound comes out of the cab, but I can't tell if the speakers are both working or if it is just the one with the moving cone

10. Open 'er up and find out what is going on.

11. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    If you can see one speaker moving, the one not moving is not working. Use a continuous source like your phone to play some music back through your rig and turn down the bass. The thinner signal with more HF content will make it easier to discern that there really is no sound coming out of the suspect driver. The better test is to open it up and disconnect one speaker at a time to play your 'test tone'. Or check across the terminals with an ohmmeter. But one speaker not moving is pretty good indication of one speaker not working IME.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I would not sell a broken piece of equipment without telling the buyer, but I have scruples.

13. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    Even if I did open it up I wouldn't know what to look for.

Do you open these things up from the front or back?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021