1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey 215D speaker selection aka. Oh no, another speaker thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bodiczek, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

1. Hi together. Again I am asking for your wisdom. There are many, many threads about speaker selection but even after studying alot of them I wasn't able to get any wiser (maybe it's me).

I've bought a Peavey 215D (the deep one) and I have a pair of Faital Pro 15PR400 speakers in another cab. I am thinking of using the Faitals in the Peavey but I am not sure if this will lead to the desired result. Other people tell me to use Eminence Kappalites 3015LFs as the shoot and forget solution. The purpose of the cab is to lay a massive, deep and loud foundation for the band. I know that this cab has its limitations, but I want to get as close as possible to my desired sound.

I was juggling numbers with this interesting online tool by Jürgen Micka.
    Loudspeaker enclosure calculating with Thiele Small parameter

The only parameters that are changeable for me are the T/S-parameters by selecting the right speaker and MAYBE altering the vent length of the cab (which would suck as the cab has a rectangular vent).

The chambers of the cab are absolutely separated.
    Enclosure volume is 99 litres (having the volume of the speaker and the handles not substracted).
    The vent has a imaginary diameter (if it would be a round hole) of 15.57 cm. The vent length is simply the thickness of the baffle which is 2 cm.

Beside the price of the speaker I think a high Xmax is important.

What else should I take into account to find the right speaker?

P1310480. screenshot_4. screenshot_5.

2. is your enclosure volume for one half of the cab, with one driver, or is it for the whole cab, with two?

Also, how willing are you to cut a new baffle and add your own port tubes? that would help with getting better tone from a variety of drivers. At any rate it's not the end of the world I suppose.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:47 PM
  3. The numbers are for one half / one chamber of the cab. And yes - I am willing to re-baffle. :)

pie_man_25 likes this.
  4. LF's are for sub use, or in multi-way cabs with x-overs and dedicated mids/highs to fill the gap. So I don't know about others telling you it is a good choice.

5. I was just messing about with WinISD, with the closest thing I could get to your internal volume, port length and "diameter" I basically got the same results - a 4 db hump in the high 70s/low 80 hz region. Most people would say up to 2db can sound good, past that can be "boomy". It might be good to look into a different port tuning, I'm no pro on exactly what you'd want though.

I dunno, as-is it might not be terrible either. At any rate it might be worth it to look into the eminence kappalite 3015 NON-LF, maybe the 2515, and maybe the beta15.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:31 PM
  6. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the Faitals as far as a good sounding driver. Whether or not they'll work exactly right for the Peavey deep cab is another question.

I got them working great in the shallow version cab, but I had to modify and lengthen the ports, which is fairly simple. Once it was tuned, it delivered the goods (i.e. a solid fundamental) You might have seen this thread:

The shallow Peavey 215....new Faital drivers plus rehab

7. Those are amazing sounding cabs with the Peavey Black Widow speakers in them. I regret selling mine every day.

8. Thanks cornfarmer. That thread was very helpful. Especially the contribution made by @BogeyBass regarding the wattage / port-velocity aspect which I hadn't in mind.

I think I will seal the rectangular ports and add round ports. After checking the cab's construction rebaffleing is no longer an option. I would destroy half of the cab.

Is anything speaking against round ports on the backside of the cab?
    By the way: I am absolutely fine with having the cab running as a sub.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    There is plenty threads and arguments over rear ports.
    I absolutely can't stand them

10. Allright. I won't waste time with that. :)

11. I think I will keep the efforts low. Using the Faitals, sealing the triangle ports and adding round ports. Reducing the Fb from 66 Hz to 35 Hz, half power at 56 Hz and a more linear response will be a big improvement I think.

Here are the numbers for the new ports:
    diameter 110 mm, length 150 mm -> Fb 35 Hz.
    Max. group delay would be 15 ms.

Hopefully I am correct.

12. Or a sealed cab with a better half power freq. of 50 Hz? Could a sealed cab lead to thermal problems?

13. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    There's nothing wrong with rear ports.

But you keep saying "rectangular ports" when the picture clearly shows triangular ports.

Anyway, probably the easiest thing to do is cut out some matching triangles out of plywood, and put some kind of weatherstripping or gasket around the edges to plug the existing ports, and then put a couple of round ports in the back of the cab so you can get them the size and depth you need.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to put some bracing inside the cab as well as some filling if there isn't any.

14. Sealed cabs are alright, depends on the driver though.

Rear mounted ports aren't the end of the world either, they just mean that you can't put your cab up against a wall.

15. My fault. I am not a native speaker so I mix things up sometimes.

16. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    ...which you shouldnt be doing anyway.

Fair enough.

17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I understand your concern as to how the pairing will work out, but, since you have them, why not install the drivers in the cab and see how it sounds. It worked out fine for us in the seventies when we didn't know better

Bodiczek and cornfarmer like this.
  18. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I did run bassbox pro.
    With some filling inside the box bassbox pro predicts Fb ~62Hz for one round port.
    btw I did some substraction to the net volume to give respect to driver volume etc.

The actual port shows some "shelf" characteristic so I did run boxsim (as well) which predicts Fb ~60Hz.
    So if there was some filling inside the cab then the tuning of the cab equals ~60Hz.

You may ask a questien WHY the software you are running predicts rather highish 66Hz for the tuning of your cab?

I also did run a modelling for a back ported chamber where the port is placed in the middle of the back, and I also set the parameter for "filling" to none (no filling).
    In this "special" case boxsim predicts a tuning that equals 66.5Hz which is a very good match to the number you already get with your software.

You'd very likeley get about 66Hz Fb as well if you would run WinISD.
    WinISD as well tries to "expect" a back ported chamber where the port is placed in the middle with NO filling material inside the chamber.

I would not try to tune the cab down to lowish 35Hz with the 15PR400.
    Thät's pretty much low of a tuning and likely your cab would respond more close to a sealed cab rather than ported.
    I think you will get good results (good performance of the cab) for Fb in the range of 45..55Hz.

Rather than a round port I would try to give the existing "shelf" port some more of length, with ~9cm port length for the existing port the tuning of the cab "should" equal ~50Hz which provides a nice roll off shape for the low response.
    Without running any modelling for step response and group delay etc. it can be told that based on the roll off shape you'd get pretty good damping (step response) and group delay numbers for Fb ~50Hz.

edit,
    I think about 60Hz Fb is not so bad of a cab tuning for a vintage cab loaded with a vintage driver such as a Black Widow.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM
  19. I've done it plenty, seems to work just fine. AFAIK if it's a solid wall it just gives everything below 100hz a 3db boost, assuming the wall is solid.

20. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Especially on a small stage sometimes I was right forced just doing it.
    The additional boost I experienced was never up to my taste, personally I prefer some distance of the cab to the back wall which provides a more "precise" sound performance.