1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Peavey 2x10 Cab + GK 300 Watt Head = Loud Enough to Keep up with Drummer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarMar, Sep 18, 2020.

1. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    See title. There is a Peavey 2x10 cab for sale in my area really cheap and I am looking for something smaller than a 4x10 I can take to practices that will be loud enough to keep up with a drummer. I have a 300 watt head I would power it with. Do you think this would be loud enough for practices? Then I would only need my 4x10 cab for shows. I am not sure which model the 2x10 Peavey cab is.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    4 or 8 ohm cab?
    Minimum amp impedance?
    Once you find out the cab model, sensitivity?

jeff7bass and MarMar like this.
  3. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    If this rig can’t keep up you rehearse way to loud
    Loud is not better, it just keeps you from hearing what need work
    Duke

wave rider, abarson and MarMar like this.
  4. In other words, maybe. I have done gigs with just 210. I have struggled even rehearsing with 115. Ymmv.

MarMar likes this.
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I've done plenty of rehearsals and parties with my Avatar SB-112 with no problem. The head put out about 280-300 watts at 8 ohms. It depends on the quality. Some older Peaveys put out plenty of sound (for their rating) but they blow when pumping too many watts into them. Complete thermal meltdown.
    Need more details on the exact cab and head. My guess is it should be fine.

MarMar likes this.
  6. Nobody knows how loud the OP band is in rehearsal.

MarMar likes this.
  7. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    I have played with a few drummers who hit really, really hard. I had a Peavey combo amp back in the day that I actually blew trying to keep up with a drummer and 2 Fender Hot Rod Deville tube amps.

8. Most of us have probably at least been up to the brink, if not blown our stuff up like that.

jeff7bass and MarMar like this.
  9. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    A little Ampeg combo amp had the same trouble as well but those guys were playing through big guitar cabs.

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Simple answer, "Maybe", very truthful answer, "Probably not."

I'm a big fan of 210 cabinets (I gig with two, 210 cabs stacked as a vertical 410).
    Rare is the job where a single, commercially built, 210 cab can be used as a stand-alone.
    Add another 210 and your good, stack those two 210's in the vertical and you'll never go back to a standard configured 410.

I'm in a moderately loud, 5 pcs., outlaw country/rock group with a moderately hard hitting drummer.
    At rehearsals a single 210 is just "almost adequate to my ears."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    S-Bigbottom, eriky4003 and MarMar like this.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Those little Hot Rod amps kicks ass. Two could melt your ears.

MarMar likes this.
  12. It's more common than you might realise to gig just a bit quieter than you are used to.

Exhibit A:
    The "Yes, That's My Dinky Amp Onstage And Proud Of It" Club--Nothing bigger than 100w and 115 or 210

13. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

There's been two things that's amazed me since I stumbled onto T.B.

#1.....How often some players flip gear.

#2.....How many players can "get by" with a 112 or 210.
    I've tried in many different settings and many different bands trying to get by with a small cabinet loaded with a single 12 or 210's, nope, the tone's just not there, it doesn't leave me smiling at the end of the gig.

Speaking solely for me and my ears, I've "never" played a job (50+ years and counting) where I or the group I was working with would have been happy with the stage sound/tone running a single small driver for bass.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I did lots of restaurant patio gigs with an old GK 210 cab. But that was with a drummer who played a cajon kit with multirods. So not too loud. Probably could have done it with a single 15.

A loud rock band, with a heavy-handed drummer and loud guitar amps...that's a horse of a different color. Bring a cab (or cabs) with no fewer than four speakers. Drive them with at least 500 watts. I've seen some idiot bands where even this wouldn't cut it. Just don't play with people like that.

MarMar likes this.
  15. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    My 4x10 Avatar with a 300 watt GK head has always been plenty for both practices and gigs, but I was looking to find something smaller I could take. The 4x10 Avatar weighs like 85 or 90 lbs and I am not the biggest guy. Preferably something I can fit in the trunk of a car.

16. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You could try a nice 212 cab. I had the GK Neo one and loved the sound. It was just too big and too heavy for my bad back. Now I have a pair of the 112 cabs. 35 pounds each and very carry-able.

212stackJPG.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    MCF likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021