Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 2x15 floating away into the horizon....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Just added a new Peavey 2x15 to my rig. Question to other Peavey owners.... Is your cab light? My old QLS 1x15 was heavier than this new 2x15. Granted the 1x15 was actually a PA cab... But should the freakin thing be light? I havn't weighed it ... but it couldn't be more than 50 or 60lbs.

My other Peavey equipment has never been light!!

2. You sure it's got both speakers in it ?...lol

I have never encountered a 2x15 that didn't weigh like 125-150lbs easy.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, it has been visually verified. Both speakers look in good shape, the box is in good shape... but for a few nicks in the tolex... It's just made out of styrofoam or something... sheesh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does that look light?

4. I have a 2x15 just like that with EV 15L's in it ans it weight 85 pounds. Great sounding punchy cabinet.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I thought that the Peavey logo on all Peavey equiptment weighed at least 85 pounds. Just kidding. I like Peavey but I've never heard "light" used in the same sentence with Peavey before. :)

Pkr2

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How does it sound, gbrooks?

Those aren't the original drivers, that much is certain.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It sounds okay... But I haven't worked it hard yet. I do notice that when I play a open A or E fret 5 that I get a big rattle from inside the thing. I am gonna open it up and see if I can secure the wires. You don't think the drivers are original? I haven't looked at their backs yet. Hmmm.... I will report on this tonight.

8. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    :eek:

g-
    where are you finding all this gear from?

anyway, a friend of mine had a 2x15 that was light. we used to toss it around for warm up before practice. but seriously, it was a crate cab and was light. can't say that it sounded good at all.

btw, that rattling might be some kind of the bracing that had come loose.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    My 3 suppliers.... :p Guitar Center, Ebay and the Recycler!

Hmm... good call on the rattle. I am gonna tear into that tonight.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You are right! I pulled em out and they are Fisher. I guess that makes these stereo speakers... doh.

Can't find anything loose in there. I am gonna play it loud tonight and see what happens.

11. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    How much did you pay for that cab? I've been looking all over for a 2x15 cab that sounds great and can take about 400 watts at 4 ohms.. that isn't too expensive... I thought peavy didn't make 2x15's anymore...

12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    My 115 BW feels like it's made out of lead. It has to be close to a hundred pounds.

Psobecke- Right, they don't make 2x15 cabs now. But I've seen lots of them on the used market. UGBM or Musicgoround are good places to look.

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I bought it for $100 from yahoo classifieds. It's worth the money... But I do wish it had the orginal drivers. I am probably gonna pick those up from Peavey/ebay/wherever I can find a matching set... as soon as I do the homework and learn which set belongs in there. :p

Peavey does still make 2x15s... check the website:

http://www.peavey.com

14. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I saw on the musicgoround 4 or 5 of them.. from 120 to 330 bucks.... would 300 be right for one? I'd have to buy it sight unseen.... wasn't there another only thing that someone listed that had 2x15, 4x10 for direct order?

15. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I didn't see it on thier website

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    http://www.peavey.com/sr/dth215b.html

here's one of them.

I have seen 2x15s go for from $120 to $600. You get what you pay for as a general rule. Most people feel that Peavey gives pretty fair value for the dollar.

17. GBrooks,

That's a PA subwoofer man, not a full range bass guitar cab. 45hz-250hz. I certainly wouldn't want to use it unless I was running a bitchin' biamped rig.

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Aha, sorry! check this one instead.

http://www.peavey.com/sr/dth4215.html

I was just testing you to see if you were paying attention. ;)

19. Ummm not to be an ass or anything but that is also a PA cab. Granted that one is full range but it's still not optimized for bass. To each their own however.

20. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    g-
    how about picking up a a couple of these to slap into tyour cab?
    [​IMG]
    15" black widow

i'm assuming these are what they originally had.