1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

peavey 3620 owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stay Gold 1337, Oct 5, 2008.

1. hey for all you who either own or have played through a peavey 3620, how do they sound? particularly with a tube amp, since i have a peavey classic 400. right now i'm using an ampeg 810 and i like how it sounds, but i also like how a lot 215s sound, so 2 18's and 2 10's might also be something that i like. anyways, just wondering what these bad-ass looking things sound haha.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I used one or two Peavey 1820 with my C400 when I had it. I think the cabs sounded great with the tube head.

3. they look like they might be overly bassy, but that's only because i look at it and i see two huge speakers. i've never played anything with 18's before so i don't have any idea how they react.

4. The apartment building I live in is actually a converted 3620.

CarmenWilliams likes this.
  5. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Tommy Shannon used a couple of them when I saw him with SRV. What I heard was probably FOH but it was very good. Full and smooth. FWIW, Stevie had about 8 fender twins blasting too. It was a little on the loud side.

BTW - I still have your old GS412 if you have second thoughts. (I'm moving on to a multi-cab set up). That Aggie is the biggest sounding cab I've ever played through.

6. anyone else? i guess mostly i'm worried about whether or not the low end is tight of flubby.

7. I used a Peavey 3620 (while doing a show with touchdown!'s band cowards!) along with a Crate BX215E, Fender Bassman 300 Pro, and a OLP MM3. Simply put, it was great sounding! I was told that it's the best that my bass has ever sounded.

I'd say that they're really great cabs and if you want one then, don't wait another minute!
    I saw one on ebay the other day for like a hundred bucks. I dunno if it's still there or not

PS I'm in a metalcore band that tunes to drop A. The low end isn't flubby at all. Really tight

8. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Not sure how relevant this is but I used a Peavey single 18" (BW) cab in the 80's. It was the same size as the cab they put an 18 and 2 10s in. The single 18 sounded great! Best 18 I ever used and I've used Bag End and SWR Big Ben cabs. Not flubby at all.

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    If you have a vehicle that can move it...buy it! Not for the wimpy, but it simply kicks ass! Not very many options out there for a cab with two 18s and two 10s.

Kim

10. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Like Morebass, I also had a 1x18, in the very early 80's. I ran that cab full range. It kicked! Very smooth. Obviously it wasn't very bright though. But man, beautiful sound.

At the time, I was running a Mark IV head into it, and was playing either a BC Rich Eagle or a '73 Jazz Bass.

Ah the days..

The Peavey 18 was essentially the low-frequency portion of the 1820, and it delivered.

11. man i wish i could find one of these... i want one so bad!

12. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    The single 18 had a lot more lows than the 1820 because the box was essentially the same size but there weren't any tens in it. I played the 1820 too and didn't like it much. I knew a guy who replaced an 1820 with a single bag end 15 (the one with the bigger box) and it sounded much better.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I replaced mine with a Bagend D12 and think it sounds much better too :smug:

I still think the 1820 is a pretty killer cab for what it is though..