Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey 3x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crgaston, Jan 7, 2006.

1. crgaston

crgaston

Dec 23, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    One of the groups I play with has a Peavey 3x15 bass cabinet as part of the room rig. I just did a Google search and a forum search and came up with nothing. Anybody else use/seen/heard of/know anything about one of these? It is an absolute monster.

2. Never heard about it, ever before... You made me curious though!

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's likely about 35 years old, back then driver technology was pretty poor compared to today and therefore 3x15s did serve a purpose. Modern driver technology allows a 4x10 to beat it.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    wow 3x15? :eek: Oww my back! That thing must be huge

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Marshall made a 4x15 cab named the Major back in the day with a matching head. What a glorious beast.

6. crgaston

crgaston

Dec 23, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Someday I will try to get a picture. I rarely practice with these guys. It's more of a poker-night type thing, pure fun instead of work. Bill, maybe the speakers have been replaced, but this thing spanks the panties clean off of any
    4X10 I've ever heard. Until you consider the efficiency question, that is. It has got to be five feet tall and a hundred and eighty pounds. And no handles or casters.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    My bassplayer had a 3x15 in '70, we took the drivers out and put them in a 2x3x6 foot 250 pound folded horn. For obvious reasons we named it 'The Hulk'. It took all five of us to lift it into the van after a gig. Luckily I've honed my speaker designing skills a bit since then, today I can beat what 'The HulK' was capable of with two tens. But it was fun to see the look on the faces of club owners when we wheeled that monster in. We eventually tired of it and cut it in half with a chainsaw and made two 1x15 PA bins out out it. Still too big.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Reading through "The Peavey Revolution" book, they mention that this 315 cabinet was made in 1972. Apparently it came standard with CTS speakers but you could upgrade them to Electro-Voice SRO's or JBL's as a option.

This must be a big sucker. I'd like to see a pic of it myself.

TD

9. Tell me more about that book!

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    This book is written by Ken Achard. ISBN # 0-87930-849-4.

It's 184 pages of information and history with lots of colour photos of Peavey products starting from the very beginning in 1957 up until 2005.

List price for the book is $29.95 US

It's published be Backbeat Books and can be bought online from www.peavey.com or http://www.backbeatbooks.com/?p=0879308494

TD

11. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Around 1972 some friends of mine had a band and bought a new Peavey amp for their bass player to use. I remember them talking about how Hartley Peavey himself had gotten involved in the ordering/shipping process because this was one of the first units to leave the factory.

The amp was called the Peavey Dynabass (I think that name was recycled later...) and it consisted of a solid state head and *two* 3x15 cabs. It was big. The bass player that used it was just over 5' tall and they kept a small ladder leaning against the amp on stage -- presumably so he could reach the knobs :)

I really can't remember how it sounded except that it was loud.

12. PDice

PDice

Dec 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    I worked with Peavey as a player in the early days... regional endorser if you will.
    My first amp was a DynaBass that came with two 2x15 cabinets. Very nice. I made the switch from Fender tube amps to the Peavey transistor Dyna Bass.
    Next amp I got from Hartley was of the nature that we are talking about here. Don't really remember how it was badged but it was a monster both in size and sound... it sounded good and would knock you off your feet!! Seems like it was in 1968 - 1970.... Those years still run together a bit.
    My rig was composed of the amp and two of the 3x15 cabinets. Had road crew so size was not an issue... loved the sound of that amp. We parted ways when our equipment truck was broken into... among other things they took my Precision bass and the amp... sissies left those cabinets.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Man, what a cool old thread to dredge up. We got 315's, dual 315's, some Peavey history, some of Bill's early work and more tales of the golden age of the 60's and 70's.......good one.